In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Economical 9MM?

BirdWatcherBirdWatcher Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
I want to purchase a economical 9MM ($300 and under) to use for home defense, so obviously I don't foresee heavy use. What is a good, reliable option? Should I consider another caliber? (I'm thinking 9MM because of its universality) I'm considering the Keltec P-11, RAP 9MM, FEG P9M, and Firestorm Mini 9MM at the moment. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• TheguncounterkidTheguncounterkid Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive found the EAA Witness to be a great value for under $300. I tend to like the new firestorms as well, though im not sure id put my life on it. If defense is a major role, cough up another $100 and go with a good used glock/sig/HK. you wont be sorry if its ever needed.
    -The Kid
  • gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You also may want to look at Ruger, although most are a little more than $300. Though I have been seeing P95's at gun shows lately for $300. Out of you listed options, I'd say go with the Kel-Tec. I love my P-32. If you shop around you can probably find the P-11 for well under $300.

-Marcus

****You'll find I'm full of surprises.-Luke Skywalker (The Empire Strikes Back)****
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above Ruger or Witness. They don't cost an arm or leg and they are good quality.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger P-95 new or used, Keltec 9mm.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • taarnold5taarnold5 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey, just curious why anyone hasn't suggested the cz75? it is the same price as the ruger and twice the gun. i own both a p95dc and a cz75.( i carry a cz75 compact ) the cz is much more accurate and feels alot sturdier. at first i used to shoot them about the same amount, but my ruger has been passed down to my wife. reliability isn't an issue with either the ruger or cz, as they both eat anything i have fed them. just another suggestion!
  • jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also agree with the above ruger or witness.... good guns. but for another hundred its a glock, or berreta, Ive yet too see a sig.. even used, at 400 hundred dollars.

lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal! Remember 0% of firearms pull there own trigger!
  • jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted too add one more thing.... In the matter of home defense, nothing will beat a 12 gauge... It wont go through the wall and kill your nieghbor, It gives you leeway on the aim factor in the middle of the night. Even with birdshot anything at that close range is toast.

lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal! Remember 0% of firearms pull there own trigger!
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest the Ruger P-95 too (or another of the Ruger P-Series), but (as noted already) you might have to shop around to find one for $300. I consider the Ruger P-series pistols the best cost/quality balance in a handgun available.

I don't have the Kel-Tec P-11 but have heard good things from people who own them--the Kel-Tec is small, more suited for carry; the Ruger P-series is bigger and tougher. If a "shot-till-it falls-apart" test was performed, the Ruger would last a whole lot longer than the Kel-Tec.

Don't know much about the others you list.
  • airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For just a few dollars more look at the CZ75. Noticed there are two currert listings on BunBroker for $350.00. If you have time and do alittle shopping you should be able to acquire one for $300/325.00.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KEL-TEC, KEL-TEC, KEL-TEC.

ATF
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the Kel Tec P-11. My dad is trying to sell his for $125 (excellent condition) and I would buy it but I already have a 9mm that I am happy with. I bought two for friends from GunBroker each for $100 - $125 about a year ago.

idsman75@peoplepc.com

Edited by - idsman75 on 06/27/2002 23:57:13
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered a Hi-Point? Chuckle, chuckle...Oh! Wrong department. I thought you were looking for a boat anchor.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are choosing the 9mm due to its universality, you may want to consider a 357 magnum revolver. Less complicated, less maintenance, and less practice required. Also it will fire all 38 special and all the 357 magnum loads. In the middle of a confrontation is not the time to be trying to figure out why your 9mm did not go boom when you pulled the trigger. I would consider any semiauto only if you were willing to practice, practice, practice regularly with it.
  • gundummygundummy Member Posts: 254
    edited November -1
    Kel-Tec P11. You should be able to get it under $250. It's been nothing but a blast for me. It might have a jamb or two during the first 50 rounds, but 1,000 rounds later (I only had it a couple months) no problems at all. NONE. It will eat most anything. Plus you can slap a pre-ban S&W 59 or 69 series mag in there and get 12 or 15 rounds ready when you need it. Cheap accessories are available and the customer service, if you ever need it, is outstanding. Smallest 9mm on planet (I think), but very easy to handle considering it's compact size. You need to get used to the 8.5# DAO trigger, but after a hundred rounds or so ($10.96 value pack @ Wallmart), you'll be alright. GD