In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PPKS by Smith&Wesson

Prescott PetePrescott Pete Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
Just read an article on the Walther PPKS mfg. by S&W.Does anyone out there have one of these? I have heard in the past that some of the PPK's had a reliability problem.I could be wrong on this, of course.I am looking for your opinions on these handguns.What are your experiences as far as funtioning especially with the.380 and are these S&W made even available yet?Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    p0838p0838 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No PPK or PPKS made thru Interarms has yet to meet the standards of those made in Germany. I had an Interarms stainless steel PPK that was unreliable. On the other hand my blue PPK/S circa 1974 made in Germany has been 100 % reliable. Maybe S&W can change this.
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few things to keep in mind. First, this gun is a locked breech design, meaning that a .380 will hurt your hand like a mother! I have a .32 PPK/S and that isn't very comfortable either, but better than a .380.

As far as reliability, well, my US made PPK/S .32 is a real disappointment. It didn't like to grab a round off of the mag when It is manually racked (and I have 4 new factory mags) and it wouldn't stay open after the last shot as it should. I sent it back, and I got it back, supposedly repaired. It was even worse. It was supposed to stay open with an empty mag, but after I got it back, not only wouldn't it stay open after the last shot, but when it would stay open after I pulled it back by hand, once I dropped the mag, the slide would snap shut. It is again back at the factory.

You can find german made PPs and PPKs out there. Frankly, i think when I get it back, I'm getting rid of it and finding a PP. Note that the PPK/s is a PP frame with a PPK slide. I think the PP slide is about 1/2 inch longer.

If you want a similar gun, in .32, look for a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. They come in .32 and .380, and are not hard on the hands and great guns
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Surprised to hear their on the market the first I have heard of it was in Guns and Ammo August edition I got yesterday.Oh well Im not a fan of the .380 anyhow.

Rugster
  • Options
    bigdog1bigdog1 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The PP/PPK series fires from an unlocked breech. It is a straight blowback design. That is why the recoil can be fairly sharp. had 2 Interarms PPK/s stainless models that broke on me. One had the rear sight works loose in the dovetail and the other had the very tip of the firing pin break off where the hammer makes contact. I'll wait awhile to see if S&W proves to be a little better....
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jgreen...Do you have a 32 cal. 1903 Colt Hammerless? If so, how strong is the action? Will it handle higher velocity factory ammo safely? I am not a fan of the 32 cal. autos but was given a 1903 Colt Hammerless a couple years ago. Thanks for any info you can relay to me.

If you don't care where you are going, you can't get lost.
  • Options
    hobbisthobbist Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my US made PPRS since it was introduce. I do not know how many thousands rounds I put thru it, but did not had any malfunction. Before this gun I had Walther TPH it was real disappointment.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an american made PPK/S and it has been very reliable. It is also a very low serial number 0006XX, perhaps QC was better when they first started up.
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Colt .32 pocket hammerless is, in my opinion, a vastly superior gun to the American Walther. I have had all manner of new factory ammo thru it, and there were no problems to speak of, other than with the new mag I bought (the old mag has no problems). Winchester Silvertips are no problems. I've seen these guns for $200 on up. Check out www.coltautos.com. In fact, I plan on perhaps getting another, maybe in .380.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Buy the best. Find yourself a Rem. Model 51 in 32 or 380.

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

Free men are not equal and equal men are not free
  • Options
    bigdog1bigdog1 Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time to flame.... The "Best" has got to be the Sig P230/232 series of 380's.... IMHO.....