In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M-1A M-14 Supermatch

erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
M-14 pros, I have some questions.
I have a new supermatch M1A with douglas barrel, laminated stock steel bedded, unified gas system, match sights, and all the trimmings.
I have run about 150 rounds thru it, and can't get the group to close up. I am using varied ammo including my own exacting reloads. I am going to try a better quality scope mount. Using a Redfield scope.
What are the most likely areas to address in order to improve the groups. Right now the best it does is about 1 1/2 inch/100yds.

Also, I got some 20 round magazines that I was told were GI issue, but they have no markings of any kind. Beautiful, all steel, flat grey black finish. Is it possible to find GI issue magazines without
any stamps or markings.
Thanks

thats'me

Comments

• Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your magazines sound genuine to me. I have both gray phospate finish and black oxide finish, all genuine G.I. If yours are well made and function properly, what's to worry? As for your 1 1/2 inch groups, the answer may lie in your scope mount. If changing that, and perhaps your scope, doesn't shrink your groups you may have to continue to experiment with different loads. I would expect a top of the line rifle like yours to shoot at least 1" groups; I've shot 1" groups with mine with iron sights using PMC factory FMJ, and it's a lesser rifle than yours. If mounts, scope, and loads don't get you to your objective, it may be time to send the rifle back to the factory for an inspection. The problem may lie in the stock bedding.
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your magazines probably are GI, i have 8 unmarked GI mags that are just like yours. For your accuracy problems i also have to say switch scope mounts and, failing that, have the bedding examined. My M1A shot poor because of crappy scope mount, and when i switched the groups shrank dramatically. Good Luck
  • erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback. What are some other options to help
    accurize the rifle. I will send it back, but thats kind of a last
    option. I really, really, like the rifle.

thats'me