In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uberti model 66 sporting rifle

rebelridgerebelridge Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a used Uberti Model 66 sporting rifle and the serial number is 862xx and I was wonder how I can tell when it was made. Also how can I keep the brass shiny and bright.

Comments

• Options
    gus101gus101 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was made in italy, by Aldo Uberti factory, which now it's belong to the beretta family, I got one too and shoots great, the cleaning of the brass, I used Brasso, you can buy it in any hardware store.
    gus101
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you could email A.Uberti SpA at:

info@ubertireplicas.it

Supply the model and serial number and they should be able to tell you when they made it.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard that Brasso can weaken brass caseings. Could this potentially cause a long term problem with the receiver?
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    kidsgunkidsgun Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Brasso on my Marine Corps belt buckle for twenty years and it never "let me down!!!!"
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any abrasive cleaner like Brasso will wear down metal eventually (like in a 1,000 years though). I'm with kidsgun. I used Brasso on my Marine brass as well and never noticed any deterioration in the metal. I don't think using brasso on your '66 Improved Henry (Winchester) rifle replica will hurt the frame. I would be very careful to avoid getting too much Brasso on the wood where it meets the brass though because it might damage the finish of the wood. And I would avoid letting any Brasso get into the operating mechanism. Use it sparingly on the exterior brass only and I think you'll be very satisfied with the result. Personally, I would polish the brass because I think brass on a replica of an old rifle like the '66 takes on a very cool "aged" appearance when left unpolished but if you really want your rifle to look new all the time, I think Brasso should be fine.