In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Rifles of Afghanistan

guns.comguns.com Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am currently in Afghanistan and have come across several old rifles. I am not farmiliar with them and was looking to see if anyone knew any information on the history over here and might know what they are worth. I plan on getting some and sending them back home. They are stamped Enfield on some and some have large matching bayonets. They are single shot and have a large lever that works similar to a falling block in the action. There is some kind of selector switch or safety on the side. The dates are late 1800's on some. There are some old looking flintlock styles also with not much for markings. I know this isn't much to go on, but anything would be good. Thanks.

Comments

• kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do it!!!! your finding british tower enfields that made their way up from india during the british occupation in the 1870's..grab whatever you can get "legal "and send home..my dive buddy's son is with the 101 airborne and he sent one home...on examination it was 99 % original except a few replacement screws,,,what i found amazing was the afgan's are making homemade musket caps out of used tin can metal....these are the same type guns used in the civil war and are still very functional today..an added plus is if you get some with tribal decorations on the strap ...orginals in just about any decent condition have a good resale market here in the us...thousands of civil war re-enactors and collectors with money to burn.....ps thanks for doing the deed god bless!
  • guns.comguns.com Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kris, Thank you for responding to my ad. I would like to talk with you more about them. I can get these all day long and have the connections to send them back legally. Please e-mail me at clinthecker@hotmail.com
    Thanks again.
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Might want to Google "Khyber Pass Guns" or something along those lines.

These tribesmen have been making copies , including the Tower Enfields, of these guns for YEARS (some even with correct stamps). Most are very crude and completely fabricated, while some are made from salvaged original parts. I've seen a completely fabricated Enfield No.1 MKIII that would fool the inexperienced collector, while seeing some that had parts that looked to be made of "tin soup cans", considered by most unsafe to shoot.

I'm not saying that's what you have found, very well might be originals, but finding them where you did, I'd bet money these tribesmen played a part in their fabrication to some degree.

Ben
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first rifle you describe would be a Martini action. They were common British issue. The lever on the side is a cocking indicator.It changes position showing whether or not the rifle is ready to fire.I'm not familiar with the particulars, just recognize the description.
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    "*"....Don't get to excited with Your find..After 4 or 5 years of negotiation Atlanta Cutlery Of Conyer, Georgia Bought the Whole Afganistani Arsenal with all Guns that were within...Up to and encluding Carriages, Equipment, Bayonets....etc.....The List goes on...Before spending any Money, check with Atlanta Cutlery via thier Web Site..
    <www.atlantacutlery.com>....Or call Toll-Free: 1-800-883-0300..Ask for thier Catalog...Its Free and is loaded with Photos and Price Lists..along with discriptions of each Piece...The only Catalog I have is the 2005 Summer Catalog (#119)...It might be cheaper to buy one back in the World.....?....Be safe and watch Your Topknot......Best.....Captain Kirk
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are the large frameEnglish Martini Enfields originally made in 577-450.
    Some were later converted to 303 Enfield.
  • ConnellylawnConnellylawn Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw your question on the forum. I must confess to not knowing crap about older guns other than to suspect that its a leftover from the british colonial days. My real reason for the rsvp was to thank you and your brothers in arms for you dedication and service to your country. THANK YOU