In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Texas Ranger serial number check

shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Winchester that I was told by an old collector may have belong to a Texas Ranger. He says that I should contact "them" and see if they have an archive of that serial number. Has anyone had experience with this before? Who would you contact?

Comments

• Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, there is a Texas Ranger Museum in Texas (don't recall exactly where though, might be Waco) but I'm not sure that they have any records.

As I recall, the Rangers provided their own weapons, horse, and saddle in the early years. I didn't think it was until the 20th century that weapons were standardized and issued.

Without a former owners name, dates and places, I'm afraid it's going to remain just a story.

Dan R
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    If, by "them" they mean the Buffalo Bill Historical Society that has the Winchester records, then forget it. The records very rarely state to whom the gun was sold.

Tell us about the Winchester and we may be able to disprove the Ranger claim thru the process of elimination.

Even if it was Ranger owned, without documentation, and without a legend about how the rifle was used for some ruthless outlaw, the rifle would not have much additional value.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense meant! But the 11 commandment of gun collecting, is to buy a gun based on it's fair market value. Not the story it comes with. Unless there is irrefutable documentation, to substantiate it's former ownership/history.