In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 490

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a Winchester 490 and need information on how to remove the bolt for cleaning and magazines.

I've removed the barreled action from the stock and given it a basic cleaning, but to clean more I need to remove the bolt. I see the trigger housing can be separated from the action by removing 2 screws, but the housing won't actually separate - so I must be missing something.

Regarding magazines, I thought magazines for my 75 and 52 would work, but due to their "side release" stud the mags won't make it into the 490 magwell. Removing the metal stud from the stamped magazine side is easy, but I'm supposing 75/52 magazines don't have a retaining notch in their rear edge and that's how the 490 mag is held in place. Any way to modify 75/52 magazines (aftermarket) to work in the 490?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    found a winchester 490 for what seems to be a good price. beautiful full size rifle. anyone have thoughts on this. are they as good as they look? would like to have some info. before i decide to purchase or not. thanks all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I'm in my 50's and just saw my first winchester 490! I don't know if I'm just slow or the early signs of old age are setting in but I do know I like this rifle.Since I am totally uninformed, would some of you good folks out there fill me in on what I've been missing?I am particularly interested in it's accuracy and why on earth they quit makeing them five years from the start!Actually,I am interested enough to buy one if all things are as good as it's appearence.Well,this is the wrong forum for that.Thanks for what ever you can tell me!Wade

w.wade brinson
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Magazine
    http://www.gunclips.net/wi490gunma.html

http://www.survivalprimer.com/PaulsGuns/ImportantNoteWinchesterDismantle.htm

Edit: D, I dug through all my resources and couldn't even find a clear schematic. There's manuals available for about $8, but I couldn't tell you if that would help. Isn't much on them, probably cause there were only 33,000 made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^^
    Thanks, found those and also found 490 magazines at Numrich for $19.05. But Numtich is out of 10 round mags for the 490 and since I have some 75/52 mags at home (that I don't use in the bolt guns) I was wondering if they could be converted. The site for taking down is helpful, but doesn't say much about what to do after removing the mag housing.

I guess considering what a PITA the 88 and the 100 are to take apart & reassemble I should have expected the same from it's rimfire brother ....[}:)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Had one at one time remember modified another magazine to work and also had the bolt out but after 10 m+ years after I sold it I don't remember details. Sorry I know model 190's had pressed in barrel .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I have it figured out.

Removed the retaining stud on the right side of the magazine and the 10 round mag slips into the rifle. Used Brownells Acraglass to secure a thin strip of metal on the back edge of the mag, similar to the tab found on a Mini or M1A mag. Seems a pretty easy fix that allows for use of the less expensive and easier to find Win 75 mags.

As an aside, both the 490 and Win 75 style mags have a very high and squared off front edge that clips the bullet when being fed in the 490, clips a slice of lead from the nose. I dremeled it to a "U" contour and slanted the edge forward. Feeds much smoother and without shaving lead.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I think I have it figured out.

Removed the retaining stud on the right side of the magazine and the 10 round mag slips into the rifle. Used Brownells Acraglass to secure a thin strip of metal on the back edge of the mag, similar to the tab found on a Mini or M1A mag. Seems a pretty easy fix that allows for use of the less expensive and easier to find Win 75 mags.

As an aside, both the 490 and Win 75 style mags have a very high and squared off front edge that clips the bullet when being fed in the 490, clips a slice of lead from the nose. I dremeled it to a "U" contour and slanted the edge forward. Feeds much smoother and without shaving lead.

Pics and a "How to"!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^^

I can't do pictures, but if you look at the right side of a Win 75 magazine the retaining stud/nub is visible on the upper left rear corner of the magazine. I used a dremel to remove it, nice and clean and then hit it with a spot of touch up blue. Used the dremel to take the front edge of the magazine wall from straight to "U" shaped so the bullet nose doesn't strike it. Just a "bit off the top".

Adding the tab is the most time consuming and exacting. If the mag sits too high or low I presume there will be feed issues. I measured from the top of a 490 mag to the retaining cut and simply duplicated it on the Win 75 style magazine. I went with a small strip of metal, same width as the rear edge of the magazine, and used a strip that went from the top of the magazine to the point at which the mag lever should "click" into place. I think the tight fit of that metal tab, and it being longer rather than a small tab, will ensure it doesn't fall off. I can think of other ways to do it but the Acraglass will I'm sure hold.

Pretty easy overall. I'm guessing the fix has been around for a while.