In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

History/value of 1911 barrels

ghatton81ghatton81 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have three barrels that I believe came out out of military issued 1911 barrels sometime in the last 15 years. I was wondering if the board could help me out by providinf information about the barrels and their approximate value.

Barrel 1) Marked Colt .45 auto on top w/ 7791193 underneath. Has S&W on the right of lug, M P on left lug, and P in front of the lug. This barrel is parkarized w/ crome lining. This barrel will have a stainless Wilson Combat bushing. From my understanding this means this barrel was made by S&W for a military contract as replacement barrels.

Barrel 2) Marked Colt .45 auto just above the left lug, a P on the left lug, and a G in front of the lug with a small F above it. This barrel is parkerized and has a parkerized bushing w/ no markings.

Barrel 3) Marked Colt .45 auto on the top of the barrel. The only other marking on this barrel is a small box w/ a C in it on the left lug. This barrel is also parkerized w/ parkerized bushing.

I'm new to the board and trying to learn how to load pictures. I'll add them as soon as I can. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have the information You seek. Will edit this post when I get Home.

Barrel #2 used on pistols made by colt from serial # 710001 until end of production 1945

Barrel #3 is post WW II

Barrel #1 is a replacement barrel I believe it was POST Korea
    I think 1961 + or - time frame The7791193 is the DRAWING number This is related to the drawing that has all the dimensions Some of these which are slightly larger then WW II barrels because all pistols by this time had wear in some areas of frames and slides.

VALUE put them up for sale with no reserve starting at one penny and lots of close up pictures to show condition inside and out side. They will bring their true value.Most people that replace barrels want match grade aftermarket barrels of a close to 100% barrel that is correct for serial # range for their military pistol . The Big Bucks are for ORIGINAL WW I vintage in great condition. your Barrel # 1 will be worth less than #2 or #3 in the same condition.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Perry Shooter.

#2 was made by Colt.

Both #2 & #3 were originally BLUE. I can't prove it, but I believe that the US military never parkerized used barrels. Barrels were cheap enough that any worn enough to need refinishing were worn enough to be thrown in the scrap barrel.

I believe that each of your barrels would sell in the $30-50 range.

Neal
  • Options
    ghatton81ghatton81 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. I didn't want to list something without having at least a little bit of information on it, and what I had read in different areas seemed to be conflicting. Thanks again.