In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Early H&R Model 199 assembly.

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello!
I am trying to assemble an early model 199 H&R revolver. It is a real rarity, and I am hoping someone else has worked on one of these. My question is installing the hand/lever on the hammer. Together they won't slide in from the top or the bottom. The hammer alone is no problem, but once you put the two together they are too thick to fit. I have the one with the firing pin on the hammer. I'm enclosing a schematic of this revolver.
Has anyone ever worked on one of these?
If so, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
buttplate
m199_zpsabf1669a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure you have the correct parts. The hammer with pin attached is easy enough to comparer to the frame for fit. Perhaps it had a thinner hand. Does the hand you have fit in the slot in the frame?
  • Options
    buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie,
    The hammer just has a mounting hole on it. The hand has the pin on it. The hand will fit in the slot in the frame but not both the hammer and lever. They are the correct parts because I've worked on these models before, but never anything to do with installing the hammer and lever.
    buttplate
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have work over a few H&R pistols 30+ years ago. The little 9 shooter that required the cylinder to be pulled and use the pin to punch out the empties was the first good shooting pistol I ever owned. I don't remember your model specifically and I'm not fond of top breaks. Sorry I'm not more specific help.

With the trigger guard off (if it does) and the trigger out, try slipping the hammer in from the top. Push it down past it's pivot screw point. From the bottom try inserting the hand/pin. Once on the hammer then allow the hand to engage the slot. Slide the assembly up and use a tooth pick to push the hand spring forward towards it's notch, stick a wood match in the hammer screw to hold the alignment. Also you might need a slave pin in to hold the bolt lever in place if it goes in with the hammer assembly. Same with the trigger and guard.