In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sig 226 Value?

BoatsBoats Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I decided that I want a Sig 226 and found one on Gun Broker. It is 9mm with the rosewood grips and night sites. It is one of their special builds that they do off and on. Where this pistol is a special configuration do you think that it might be more collectable and hold it's value better?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Boats
    Where this pistol is a special configuration do you think that it might be more collectable and hold it's value better?

Honestly...No to both questions. Some years ago SIG-Sauer offered a special P-226 NRA variaiton with deluxe walnut stocks with the NRA emblem along with a special walnut dispaly case, also with the NRA emblem etched into the glass. It was soon possible to purchase both the NRA walnut stocks and the NRA display case "on the loose" (I bought both) and build you your own NRA P-226 for minimal money by using your own P-226 as a host gun for the special parts. So called special editons are just a vehicle for the manufactuere to get some old product out on the street in a fresh wrapper and make some fast sales; they typically don't hold their value any better or earn any big premium at resale over the regular models.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only if it's a cataloged factory gun. 226's have been on the market since the early 80's. My WAG, because of this probably 100,000 have been sold in the States. They have always have been very high quality, and in great demand.

I'm sure that there are collectors, who want all the variations going back 30 years. If you can document that the work is factory original. And it was cataloged from the factory as a special order. I would expect it to appreciate in collectors value.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it would be worth anymore, they make so many of them. However, they are great guns, and you won't be sorry to own one, I have at least 20,000 rounds through mine, and it's the best auto I own!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My oldest one has probably 50,000rds through it, shake it and rattles but is still shooting 1.5" at 25yd [^] Outshoots my newer one [:)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some limited production Sigs that I think will appreciate more than others, like the P226 ST (polished stainless steel) & Custom Shop competition & carry models. The closer to NIB, the higher the chance for value increase.

Neal
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Boats
    I decided that I want a Sig 226 and found one on Gun Broker. It is 9mm with the rosewood grips and night sites. It is one of their special builds that they do off and on. Where this pistol is a special configuration do you think that it might be more collectable and hold it's value better?

More "collectible". . .maybe. . .but probably not "much".

As already mentioned, SIG 226s are relatively common guns. Not only do lots of civilians have them, but they're standard issue for all sorts of State and Municipal police depts. If you include those (at least some of which have already or will eventually make their way into the secondary civilian surplus market), my guess is that there are WAY more than 100,000 of them in USA.

For something like this, a serious collector would want a brand new gun in the box with all original papers. With so many of these out there, and in so many variations, if this particular gun is actually used (and by that I mean it has ANY noticeable wear on it ANYWHERE), its added collector's value would be negligible.

On the other hand, SIGs are desirable well-built guns, so if you pay a fair price for it used when you get it, it won't go down in value. If this one is nicer than usual, that's just a small plus if you buy it. In general, just having night sights and rosewood grips will increase the value (and price). . .just not all that much.
  • Options
    BoatsBoats Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for your info. I still really love to shoot and I torture myself trying to shoot really small groups at the range, but love every minute of it. So I will buy it and enjoy shooting it. With so many people liking this gun so much as a good shooter I doubt if I will ever part with it and if I really get but by the Sig bug will probably have more. Thanks again,
    Boats.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got bit by that same Sig Bug, I have a few of them!
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    The bite doesn't hurt.
    But the itch never goes away. [;)]

I have a few.
    In many shapes and sizes.
    But I wouldn't keep one as a "collector".
    They are made to be fired. And I love to fire them.

And if you've got a cool, rare modern handgun that a lot of people haven't seen. Shoot it. Don't leave it in a drawer.

Now an unfired relic, I might feel differently about. Or a fragile family firearm.
    But something you bought? Shoot it. Let your grand kids coddle it.

And 226s aren't known for their collectibility. .
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy the config you want. ill bet dollars to donuts i know the seller you are talking about who penny starts lotsa new sigs. you are not going to beat the price on those anywhere else, where most of those end up (sub 700 is a deal) so its worth it if thats what you want

its no more desirable than any other recently produces sig