In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buy a browning superposed barrel set?

altecgbaltecgb Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Estate has a 4 barrel set from a browning superposed for sale. 12/20/28/410 28" Simmons mfg. co. No fore ends included. I'm told receiver was from 1950s.

In the back of my mind I am thinking I could buy a receiver without a barrel and a fore end (maybe more than one??) and make up a nice set that my wife and I could shoot.

It's my understanding that fitting might be required and the cost could range $50 - $250.

I haven't been able to find a superposed without barrels and really haven't been able to find values on the barrels,

The barrel set seems cheap which is why I am considering the project. Is this a fools errand?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the past I haven't had a great deal of luck, by buying parts and trying to assemble them into functional guns at a reasonable cost.

There is a outfit in Texas named Briley who specializes in shotguns. I would contact them about the feasibility and costs associated with your project.

The cost of the receiver/fore end(s), plus fitting, might be substantially more than the value of the completed shotgun?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I expect the only source of a Superposed action and buttstock would be to chance on a gun that had met with an unfortunate accident.
    I don't think Browning or FN ever sold partial guns.
    I think your only option would be to buy a shotgun and end up with two 12 ga barrels.

Simmons no longer lists barrel sets, but you might give them a call about transplanting them to another gun.
  • Options
    altecgbaltecgb Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the set. There are a couple of superposed on the auction side in the low $1000 range. Any thoughts on what is involved in "fitting" these barrels to an action? Is it just wood adjustments or is there metal milling/shimming work to be done?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There shouldn't be any wood fitting involved, only metal fit. The fitting usually involves the hook area where the barrels attach to the receiver on the bottom so that it matches up to the face of the receiver. It should be an easy fit for a qualified person, however you have 4 sets of barrels. Look around the net at shotgunworld or trapshooters.com to see if there are any receivers out there. Not sure if a current (non superposed) receiver would also work. Might want to check into it though.

T67
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would present your questions to Arts Gun Shop in Hillsboro, Mo.
    artsgunshop.com