In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 ACP

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Another dumb question.

When boar hunting is a 45acp of any value as a backup. If I cannot find commercial ammo that is adaquate, I am thinking of trading a for either a 357 or 44 mag revolver.

Even the 357 is a little on the light side?

Milt

Comments

• Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    yes' i'm looking at a hi-point 45 acp.i know they are not pretty or popular,but are they reliable,any information would be helpful.thanks
    edited November -1
    I am looking at upgrading my carry pistol. (S&W 40) It is a little large to carry when only wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I would like to get a 3"-4" barreled Colt or Kimber that would be easier to carry with an inside the pants holster. I would like some opinions on which is the best Colt (series 70,80,90) or which Kimber might be the best. I know it is all relative to what some one believes because that is what they use. Just give me some good opinions on which pistol you like and why.
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    any one answer this how does the glock 21 45acp compare to hk and sig 45's
    edited November -1
    Can 45 ACP be safely fired in 45 Win Mag semiauto?
  • 260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    IMHO... any 1911 with the series 70 firing system. the CITADEL COMPACT is a nice carry weapon , is accurate and reliable and won't break the bank.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the XSE Commander in .45, also carry a Kimber Ultra Carry, and a Ruger SR1911, but my go to "little" gun is a Colt Commander, mine in 9mm, but it also comes in .45. Three inch barrel instead of 4.25 or five inches.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before buying any type of 1911, short barreled or not. Try your current carry gun with a inside the pants holster. See if it works for you, and is comfortable for extended periods of use. Carry it when your walking, driving, sitting for extended periods etc.

Although the 3"" barrel 1911's are much more compact than the Government models. They still are bulky guns,with a lot of sharp edges and the exposed hammer to contend with. The only way I could see wearing them on a daily basis is if you were on your feet 90% of the time. Rather than sitting at a desk or behind a steering wheel, for most of the day.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not stuck on a 1911, try a Kahr P45, PM45, or CW45. There is also the option of a Glock 36...the smallest, most reliable semiauto 45 ACP on the market.

Otherwise, there is the Colt Defender, and never overlook the Para USA(previously Para Ordnance) offerings.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:Before buying a plastic Kahr I'd look in to Glock. Don't get me wrong I love my K-40 but the plastic line seems cheaply made but pricey. Beside the Glock'll hold a bit more rounds

The Kahr P-45, and CW-45 both hold the same amount of rounds as the Glock 36.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Like you, I like .45 and really like 1911's...I have a pre-70's limited production 1911A1 with the little bb's under the serial number...only made 1100 or so and I CC it for years...but in my older age it is just too heavy. So a couple of years ago I went with the Glock 36 and love it. Have night sights on it and it does the trick for me. Both are wonderful pistols IMO but if you are asking about which series of 1911's is best (and I have all three plus the pre bb), no contest....get a 70's and never look back....why? Fit, finish, just overall quality...kinda like comparing an old Winnie to a new one....too smooth to be a contest[:)] Don't have any Colt clones so can't comment on the "wannabe's"
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like my Kimber Ultra. It is quite accurate, totally reliable and a good size.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bone stock Kimber CDP II is pretty light aluminum frame, plastic bits.

Before buying a plastic Kahr I'd look in to Glock. Don't get me wrong I love my K-40 but the plastic line seems cheaply made but pricey. Beside the Glock'll hold a bit more rounds.

*Glocks are plenty chunky that's why they came out with the "slimmer" one. I also figured you were looking for something for the summer.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I like my 1911,s but carry a Kahr P-45 in a IWB holster with shorts and T-shirt. Hides well [;)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the ideas. I really prefer the steel pistols over the black plastic ones so popular today. I also have pretty big hands and most of the plastic guns just don't fit. That is my main reason I am looking at the Colt or Kimber