In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 1911 45acp Magazines...

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm purchasing a new S&W 1911 45acp model 108282 and want to buy additional magazines in both 8 and 10 round capacity.

My question is this; Can I purchase most any magazine for a "1911 45acp" such as from Pro Mag or other magazine companies? Or do most mags only fit exact models thereby limiting me to buying a magazine for my exact model/manufacturer only?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns built on the 1911 type frame all use the same mags as long as they are single column. When you get into staggered column larger capacity mags you will have proprietary mags made for particular models.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911s and Commander sized pistols use the same mags, compact models use smaller mags. I have been very pleased with Wilson Combat and Chip McCormack mags.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    floorguy24,

You will be fine with any single stack magazine, as far as fit goes. Some higher capacity of 8, 9, and 10 rounds, might stick out the bottom further.

For the very best in reliability, I suggest Wilson. I have used a bunch of different ones, and these are the best.

Best
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any quality .45 1911 mag will work.
    i suggest wilson combat. promags are junk in most of their offerings
  • Options
    floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the input!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    1911s and Commander sized pistols use the same mags, compact models use smaller mags. I have been very pleased with Wilson Combat and Chip McCormack mags.

The mags mentioned here will serve you for a long time. I have some Wilson that are about 30yrs old and still work good. The 10rd from feed fine. I have a couple of Wilson 13rd that they got out before the '94 ban that are rare [^]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The McCormick Power Mag 8 shot is a good value, and often found on sale at one or another mailorder vendor.
    I have not tried their 10.
    Tripp Cobramags are VERY good, but more expensive.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    The McCormick Power Mag 8 shot is a good value, and often found on sale at one or another mailorder vendor.
    I have not tried their 10.
    Tripp Cobramags are VERY good, but more expensive.

I have several of both from McCormick and they all work great. Only problem is affording to fill them up (and then empty them) on a more frequent basis.
  • Options
    andeanincandeaninc Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chip McCormack brand mags are good until the "alligator mouth" looking followers go out of tune. At that point, they won't hold the slide back when empty. Their "match" magazines are much better because they have a different follower, which doesn't have that problem.

Great mags can be found from Wilson Combat, Metalform, Mec Gar, Smith and Wesson, Taurus, Colt. There are other reliable brands also. The first 3 brands also offer 10 round capacity. Promag 1911 mags work reliably, but do not have strong springs - they are simply "adequate," meaning they're not bad, just not great.

If you're interested, you can find these on our web site, andean-inc.com on the M1911 Government page.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by floorguy24
    I'm purchasing a new S&W 1911 45acp model 108282 and want to buy additional magazines in both 8 and 10 round capacity.

My question is this; Can I purchase most any magazine for a "1911 45acp" such as from Pro Mag or other magazine companies?
    Yes. Any standard 1911 magazine should fit your full ("Gov't") sized 5" bbl 1911-type pistol.

quote:
    Or do most mags only fit exact models thereby limiting me to buying a magazine for my exact model/manufacturer only?

No. The 1911 platform is standardized, and so are the magazines. Any mag for any full sized 1911 should run your gun just fine. Obviously, magazines for compact or double-stack versions of the 1911 won't fit in a standard full sized single stack gun.

As mentioned by other posters above, some magazines are better than others, but that's a different question.

The conventional wisdom is that the standard 7 round magazines are the "most" reliable, though I think 8-rounders are perfectly reliable if you use one from a good manufacturer. Depending on how these are built, they may stick out of the bottom of your gun a bit. 10 rounders will invariably stick out the bottom of your gun. Its up to you to decide if this particular disadvantage outweighs the increase in capacity for your particular application.

Also, obviously, you can't run magazines for compact versions of 1911 pistols in full sized guns like yours.