In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 52

Mullen CoinsMullen Coins Member Posts: 25
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I am researching this Winchester Model 52 serial number 39687 which appears to be original finish but has a added handle grip metal plate and a wood cheek rest. My intent is to learn more before selling. Gun is in excellent shape and has a Wm. Malcolm scope serial number 5461 and what I believe it the original strap. Do the grip plate and and cheek rest enhance or reduce the guns value? Any information on the gun and scope is appreciated. Here are images

win-model-52.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester model 52 serial number 7. I have been told this could be an early prototype, one of ten used in a national match or the first run of shipped rifles. No one seems to know the details of this early group of model 52s.
    Thanks,
    Brannigan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a winchester model 52 .22LR heavy barrel and heavy target stock. it has a marble-goss precision peep sight. serial # is 17607 which indicates it date of manufacture is 1930-1931. I'ts in tip top
    condition. Anyone know what it's worth?
    Thanks to all
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Mod.52. It has a Ser. # 43XX & made in 1926. All I can find is info on Mod. 52A-B-C=D's. Mine only has a 52. Also the gun is in excellent shape. The stock is nicely checkered but I don't know if that is original. Any Idea what it is worth. tony
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need a complete bolt assembly for a Winchester 52. My gun has no letter designation and has a low serial number 5xxx. I have looked everywhere and can find nothing.
    James
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry... with pics!!

52.jpg
    522.jpg
    523.jpg
    524.jpg
    525.jpg
    526.jpg
    527.jpg
    528.jpg
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What number is marked on the tube of the Malcolm scope, aside from the serial number? The scope mounts appear to be Marlin, and the receiver sight a Wittek-Vaver. The grip plate and the cheek rest would reduce the gun's value, unless you find someone that can't live without it.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see what I assume is the serial number which is 5451 (not 5461) and what appears to be a "T" below that... possibly a "1" rather than a T.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Malcolm scopes that I recall had "MALCOLM" stamped in an arch with the number of the scope, usually 1,2, or 3 below it and centered. Also, the "T", if it's a "T" might stand for "Target". According to Stroebel's latest publication the Model No. 1 Target Scope would be 10-16 power in a tube 18 inches to 26 inches in length, with a diameter of 0.8125 inches. He has valued the tube alone at between $600 to $1400, with the low end of the value scale represented by at least 60 to 75% of its original finish.

Added:

It appears that some of the No. 1 Target scopes did not show the number 1, and used the T instead. Measure the diameter of the tube and get its exact diameter. It should be 0.8125 inches.

J. Unertl stands for John Unertl. John Unertl is famous for his rifle telescopes, spotting scopes, shooting accessories, and optics in general. He worked under J.W. *, another man famous for his rifle scopes, mounts, and bases, before he left his employ and began his own business. It surely looks like the rifle and scope have been mated together since shortly after the rifle was produced.

It would also be neat to see the pictures of the top and sides of the scope blocks, if you get the chance to take some, in the hope that we might identify the maker of the scope blocks.

Also, if you do not have Nick Stroebel's latest book, "Old Gun Sights and Rifle Scopes" you might want to think of purchasing a copy.
    What's next?
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    The stock modifications reduce value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are closeup images of the Wm. Malcolm scope which is 20 1/2" long and about 3/4 across in the middle of the tube. There is no question in my mind that the letter below the serial number is a "T". Also, there is a name on the grip plate "J.UNERTL" - assume this is the name of the gunsmith that made the grip.

529.jpg
    5210.jpg
    5211.jpg
    5212.jpg
    5213.jpg
    5214.jpg
    5215.jpg
    5216.jpg
    5217.jpg
    5218.jpg
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mullen Coins,

I have seen similar, wooden grip adapters on other kinds of rifles. Apparently, Unertl made a few of those, as here is another Model 52 with a metal, Unertl grip adapter:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/one-kind-unertl-grip-adapter-70801/

quote:Bart1:

Just bought a Winchester model 52, circa 1932. Mint bore, looks great, but it had an ugly wooden looking pistol grip extention screwed on it. Bought it anyway.

While linseed oiling the stock I took off the adapter and realized it was cast aluminum painted brown by a previous owner. On the bottom of the adapter it is deeply stamped "J Unertl". I cleaned off the paint and it is simply cast aluminum exactly moulded to the model 52 pistol grip. (see pictures a few replies below).

Searching the internet turns up nothing..only Unertl scopes. Has anyone ever heard of this before? any idea the value? Looks great in "the white" on my rifle...and makes it really comfortable.

55366d1345653590-one-kind-unertl-grip-adapter-_mg_0001.jpg

55367d1345653590-one-kind-unertl-grip-adapter-_mg_0004.jpg