In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 information

mystrymanmystryman Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello All,
I don't come to this forum much because I'm NO expert.
My father died 2 years ago today. He was a WWII veteran.
I have his Colt 1911a1 serial number 819XXX.
Besides paying Colt $100 dollars to tell me it was issued to the Army, do any of you have any additional information on it.
It is a government issue property of U.S. Army.
The slide is stamped with "P". Barrel is stamped with "G". Lower has "WB" stamped on the left side and "G".
This gun is in great condition. I have no intention of selling it and hope to pass it on to my son.
Based on it being in great condition, what is roughly the value?
I'd post pictures but its to darn hard to figure out on GB. [:D]

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If strictly original in all respects and in NRA Very Good to Excellent condition, it is worth a good deal of money. I don't like tp play Price is Right but somewhere $1000-$2000.

Waldemar Broberg, the chief inspector whose staff applied his WB stamp, was on the job not quite a year, July 1941- June 1942. Collectors care about such minutiae.

The G on the barrel is correct.

Keep it clean and oiled, do not store it in a holster.
    There was one on another board with almost no wear but leather holster induced rust that cut its dollar value about in half. As well as being unsightly.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With collectible guns like this, we have to get down to the actual percentage of original finish remaining, plus any alterations or mutilations or rust or pitting. In 99% or better condition, it could be worth $3,000-4,000.

We need to see multiple photos THIS CLOSE, plus pics of the barrel (inside & out):

Colt_M1911A1_3.jpg

Do not field strip your gun unless YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Neal
  • Options
    mystrymanmystryman Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do have his original issued holster but the gun is not stored in it. I had my F.I.L. take a good look at it and it is all original. No modifications. I will try to take some pics and post them here. I did put about 25 rounds through it last year at the range.