In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taxable Income for selling on GunBroker?

bailey1955bailey1955 Member Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
How much stuff would I have to sell on GunBroker.com before I need to declare the profit as taxable income?

Comments

• Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any, really, if you have enough income overall to have to file a return.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are supposed to report any profit/capital gains on sales of any item.

Technically, you're supposed to report any sales of anything, even if there is a loss, but the IRS doesn't really enforce that since nearly all the times one sells a used item, one is taking a loss and there is no capital gain. (It's usually impossible to buy items at retail and resell them for any profit.)

Of course, the really annoying thing with the law is that you are supposed to report any gains on something, like the sale of a firearm, (it would be categorized as a "collectable" and taxed at the 28% rate), but you are not allowed to apply losses you take from sales of other items against that (rare) time you might have a gain on something. (In investments, one is allowed to apply capital losses against capital gains.)

If you are buying and selling as a regular business activity trying to make a profit -- and if that buying and selling includes firearms, be aware of the requirements for you to be a licensed FFL to be doing that.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm of the opinion that since I can't deduct losses on what doesn't bring back what I paid for it, I'll be damned if I'll report one or two 'profits'.

I don't engage in it as a business. Therefore, I feel no obligation to pay taxes on what I've already paid taxes on. If I engaged in it as investing or business, it would be a different story.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bailey1955
    How much stuff would I have to sell on GunBroker.com before I need to declare the profit as taxable income?

You should ask your accountant or, if you work for the IRS and are just trolling to find out who pays taxes and who doesn't, you already know the answer. [;)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's not the right question.

Its not about how much stuff you sell, its about how much profit you make in doing so.

Assuming you're already in a position where you have net tax liability from other income, if you made even one cent of profit re-selling one gun, you're supposed to report it.

Now, realistically, there is only so much the IRS can do, and they don't have the resources or frankly even interest to chase taxes on every profit-making resale in the country.

Unless you're turning over guns on a regular basis, or unless you make a significant amount of money in a single transaction, chances are the IRS will never know or care, and your real-world liability is probably pretty low.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    anything that is a gain should be reported, now if your taxed or not on it will depend on if your business, non for profit etc. But assuming your the guy thats just turning a gun or selling here and there you have to report every penny earned. Even if you have a garage sale your supposed. The IRS knows this and is not worried about or gives a rats. Now if you are the guy selling hundreds of stuff a year, then you might see about paying the tax. But its on you, do what you think is right and whatever your life can handle, remember there are penalties if caught.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I just can't seem to make a profit. I pay WAY too much for everything, and sell it at a loss......
  • Options
    bailey1955bailey1955 Member Posts: 5
    edited November -1
    OK Gang it looks like I'm going to need some kind of business software to help me figure out what my profit might be for the year. What do you recommend? I only sell on GunBroker.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK Gang it looks like I'm going to need some kind of business software to help me figure out what my profit might be for the year. What do you recommend? I only sell on GunBroker.

Are you sure you're making a profit? If you are, are you doing it as a business, or are you looking at a profit -- and tax liability -- from a capital gains position?

If you're doing this as a business: If you have the record of all your sales for the year, just total them up, then subtract all your expenses (purchases of items for resale and the related business expenses in doing that) and you have your profit (or loss).

If this is just a capital gains potential tax liability, you're going to be subtracting your purchase price (whenever it was made -- maybe 40 years ago) from your selling price. The resulting number -- if positive -- is your capital gains.

Unfortunately, "gains" you can often have on something like a firearm that you may have owned for a long time, may not really be any gain. All you'll be doing is paying capital gains taxes on inflation!

It is insanity that prices are not adjusted for inflation when calculating capital gains, but the whole goal of taxes (and monetary-inflation which results in price-inflation) is to seize your wealth -- capital gains taxes can be particularly vicious in that respect.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    capital gains aren't always bad as you can subtract tons of stuff. B But personally we talking a few thousand bucks or we talking 10-20 grand? If under a few thousand I would just add up the selling price subtract cost and then claim it. But if your talking a mount of money see a professional to at least get started and don't listen to us jail house lawyers. Spend a few bucks get an informational sessions then move on with software and do it yourself. You may check turbo tax online, see what they offer, otherwise maybe quicken.