In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sight height over bore?

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm trying to use some ballistic software and one of the items it asks for is the sight height above the bore. My question is, for using a scope, is the measurement from the center of the bore to the center of the scope?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Try this and it will surprise you Enter 3 inches between scope center and bore inches then set it up for + 0r - 3 inches from cross hair zero
    You will see this gives you longer range within the + and - parameters you set It is a shame In MY opinion that hunting rifles dont have stocks to allow 3 inch Bore to Scope center-line. Yes I know about CANT but drop is more of an error than windage.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray B,

Most ballistic soft ware relies on several variables. Like a computer, if you put garbage into the equation, you will get garbage out. Those variables are, but not conclusive, bullet weight, the ballistic coefficient of the bullet, sight height, barometric pressure, altitude, humidity, temperature(the last four have a more significant effect on gravity, than most people realize), actual velocity, and also important are the actual distance to the target, and the sloping angle of the shot(or the actual distance that gravity has an effect on).

All ballistic software are not created equal. Most all of them have places to enter most all of these variables, while some have the ability to do it automatically, based on GPS location, and current weather conditions recorded at local to your location, weather stations. Some of these can also be had as APPS on smart phones.

To answer your question, yes the centerline of the bore, to the center line of the scope. Also, make sure your scope is mounted perfectly square to the vertical centerline of the rifle, not the shooter...that is very important too. If it is mounted square to the rifle, and it seems canted to the shooter, then the shooter is not holding the rifle perfectly vertical.

Best