In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 shells hard to find

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I live in Eastern Pa. and none of the locals, Gander Mountain or Cabellas have 22 shells.

Anyone know why?

Denny

Comments

• Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same situation all across the the country, been this way all year, if not longer. Have heard no credible explanation.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Take heart, they DO exist.
    A quick scan of the auction side shows over 500,000 rounds available IF you want to pay somewhere around 10-35 cents apiece.
    I drove past the Remington Plant in Arkansas (right off I-40) last week, and saw that the parking lot was overflowing in the middle of the night.

Those cars didn't belong to employees; they were owned by folks wanting to be first in line to buy hundreds of cases of rimfire ammo.

In case you want to join the mob; Remington doesn't sell to individuals at their manufacturing plant.

Whenever this manufactured "crisis" is wound down, and folks stop perpetuating the myth that they "have" to stock up for the impending (put your own Doomsday scenario here); supplies will stop being snatched off shelves by profiteers (sounds much nicer than what I usually call them) bent on becoming "rich" by re-selling at huge markups, to dupes bent on stashing a few million rounds.

You just have to think through all the lies and political BS, and determine what you can afford for when you want to go plinking.

I stocked up on Fed Gold Medal 711s way before the Millenium, and I still shoot regularly in matches on that supply.
    I haven't bought any additional ammo since before 2002, my Dillon happily creates new ones out of old ones just fine.

Being a gun owner creates a situation where if you want to shoot your toys; you must then make decisions with long range (sorry) benefits
    in mind.
    A gun is just as handy as a brick without ammo.
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supply and Demand. More gun owners trying to feed their new acquisitions coupled with those fearful of our Govt and stockpiling, both of these along with the turnaround sellers trying to double their money.

My son in Oregon, and occasional shooter, reports the same problem, took his two out for a day plinking with .22's and couldn't find any ammo except .22 Longs in some real old packaging.

Here in Arizona, I haven't seen any on the shelves in months although retail clerks report that all ammo, centerfire and rimfire, is coming in but seems to be snatched up as soon as it's stocked. Wally world has a limit of three bricks per person, gets 10 bricks in every week or so and the first 4 people in line are the only ones to get any. Clerk says you gotta get there early to get ammo !

Dan R
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sage1
    I live in Eastern Pa. and none of the locals, Gander Mountain or Cabellas have 22 shells.

Anyone know why?

Denny

You need to try to be at the store a half hour before it opens. You have to figure out what days they get the ammo on (if people are lined up you picked the right day). This method has worked pretty good for me with Gander and Cabelas, not so much with Walmart. It seems Walmart has no set days. My Gander even passes out numbers, that makes it nice for a guy with a bad leg or older folks.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in a rural area, that only has one Walmart in a 60 mile radius. One of the locals who lives in the town, that the wally world is located in. Told me that he gets up a 6:00 AM every morning to get in line. He doesn't know what day they will stock the ammo though. But if he isn't in line by 7:00. The ammo if it is stocked. Will be sold out in 15 minutes. And that is with a one brick per person limit.

EDIT #1, Just announced on the news that Obama has signed a executive order. Banning the importation of military rifles, that were originally made in the US.

This is the kind of crap, that causes the rimfire ammo panic that we are experiencing.

There is a sign in a gunstore in Prescott Valley, with a picture of Obama. It states that he is the best gun salesman that they ever had. Although it was posted to be funny, it's working out to be gods honest truth.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few weeks back local Sportsman's Warehouse had 525 bricks of Remington for $24 out the door 1 per person. Thay had primers $28/M and a guy was putting like 75 1# cans on the shelf.

I got to try some of the 22's and they seemed good for bulk packed ammo. I might stop by Saturday and see what they have.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sage1

Anyone know why?

Denny

There is a several months-long national shortage right now, and its a combination of many factors all acting together:

1. In general, .22 is single most popular type of ammo, demand is highest for that caliber.

2. Bad economy and poor availability of OTHER types of ammo are pushing sport shooters who might otherwise use other calibers "down" to .22, again increasing demand.

3. Liberalization of concealed carry laws mean there are more new shooters out there right now then ever before in American history. New shooters like .22, again, creating unprecedented demand for it.

4. "Panic" set in by the Obama administrations recent anti-gun push; people are afraid ammo is going to be banned/taxed/restricted.

5. Bad economy means people stockpiling personal stashes of ammo for "SHTF" disaster scenarios.

6. Empty shelves mean that many occasional shooters who find any for sale will immediately buy up all they can find, figuring its better to have and not need then vice versa. This in turn aggravates the shortage and creates a "vicious cycle". IMO, this has been a major contributing factor to the problem.

Yeah, there probably are still SOME speculators buying up ammo in quantity hoping to re-sell it at a significant profit, but really, I think that game is coming to an end soon.

While you're still not going to find bricks of .22 on many store shelves, general availability has been slowly increasing, and OTHER ammo types that were totally unavailable 4-5 months ago are now becoming available again. In 6 more months, I think you'll be able to walk into stores and see actual stocks of .22 as inventory again.

When that happens, anyone holding "mega stashes" of .22 they bought to re-sell isn't going to be able to do so any any more than regular market price. In fact it wouldn't at all surprise if there were a short-lived market glut and prices actually dropped a bit (just as is happening right now with AR-15 guns).
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:EDIT #1, Just announced on the news that Obama has signed a executive order. Banning the importation of military rifles, that were originally made in the US.

The real big problem, is they get to fill in the blanks, as to what the definition of military rifle means. They got to do that here in NY, going from the assumed definition of select fire, to what kind of graphic features it has, such as folding/collapsable stock, bayonet lug, pistol grip, flash hider/threaded barrel, etc.

They will start transposing that definition they set, to domestically manufactured guns, military or not, and as they see fit.

They all need to be impeached, and now!

Best
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When he leaves office the next prez can sign another exec order reversing his.

I was in the Bass Pro in Vegas about a week ago. They had everything except .22 ammo.
  • Options
    mope540mope540 Member Posts: 6
    edited November -1
    I was 'hoarding' .22LR several years back when lawmakers in this state pushed for a 5 cent tax on every round of ammunition, no matter the caliber. Never passed, but i'm glad i stockpiled a few boxes, the current .22LR prices are insane.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Yesterday I was at Bi Mart in Washougal Washington, about 30 miles from the little town I live in. I bought 40 gr CCI Mini Mags for $6.29 per box of 100. I bought Nosler Ballistic Tip 25 caliber 100gr bullets for $18.29 per box of 50.
    In my neck of the woods, supplies have become available in the last couple of months. I have not really been shopping for 9 months or so, as I've always had a pretty good supply of components and 22 shells laid back. Now that prices are within reason, I am again adding to my supply.
    The key to this whole mess, is to not get caught with your pants down. Every time you are where ammo and components are sold at a fair price, buy some thing. Not case lots, just a box or two of some thing you will use. Make a habit of this and you'll be able to shoot no matter what the political climate is.
    W.D.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I haven't bought any 22lr in years. My 12 gun cabinet has a full bottom packed full of it [}:)][^] I thought about selling some BUT got to thinking that at what price it is to replace [:0]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had to find alternatives for the ground squirrel problem in our orchards. Pellet rifle, bow and arrow, slingshot, etc whatever.

Funny thing is I can buy 50 rounds boxes of 40S&W for $20.00 almost any time.

Thought about it, causes too much damage to the trees....