In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sharps-Borchardt Model 1878 disassembly

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
Any one have hands on experience with a Sharps-Borchardt Model 1878?
The lever is locked and will not move. As you can see some one has mistreated the rifle in the past.
Trying to save time by how to disassemble. I have been on line but have not found how to disassemble this old rifle... Thanks

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow normally I recommend Kroil bit will loosen Rust but not When someone has used a hammer to try to Beat the gun apartand used a dremel to cut slots in Pins. not screws. I would declare This Abused once great firearm a lost cause.
  • Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pronounced the rifle DOA but the owner wants it taken apart or at least get it closed for a wall hanger...

Thanks
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chamber appears empty, maybe a hydraulic press can force it shut. Bubba had a bad day. Sad.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being it's a basket case anyway, and you have nothing to lose. Set the receiver up so that it's parallel, on the table of mill. Drill the screws out, with a undersized drill.

The way that the top of the breechblock has been mushroomed though. Might still present problems, even with all the pins and screws drilled out?
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After you remove the forend and the lever spring I would also suggest that you remove the buttplate and remove the stock screw so as to remove the buttstock as well.

I see the lever pin hole is empty, you need to make a pin .220" and capture both the extractor ,if it's there, as well as the lever. Once this is done you have a chance of everything moving.

I would not drill out ANY screws, the small ones on the side are for the cam plate and the big one in the back just fills a hole and does nothing.

I will further add that if you mess with the cocking plates you only invite more problems. The action needs to be cocked and have the firing pin retracted for both lowering the breech block and ultimately moving it out the top. You can't do ether with the firing pin protruding.