In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2 or 3" J-Frame Barrel Preference ?

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
Any preferences in barrel length and why?
Do the better ballistics and sight radius of the 3"-38 Spl barrel offset better concealability and possible drawing speed of the shorter barrel?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a first year Model 60 2" 38 Special. On a good day when I could see the sights 1 gallon plastic milk jugs at 100 yards were it more often than not. I put on the largest Packmayr grips they make or with the factory woods ones I had to place my left thumb along the spine in order to get a good purchase on it. With the woods one I can hid it completely in my hands prayer fashion.

Now that my vision is not quite so good the .1" fixed sights are a lot harder to see. That might change with work on my right eye. A 3" with adjustable sights would be handy.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a .38sp J-frame airweight with a bobbed shrouded hammer because it fits in my pocket and I have it with me. Add an extra inch and it doesn't fit so well and I may not have it when I need it.

For what it is needed for I have found it plenty accurate enough. Can I put 5 rounds in the 10 ring at 50 yards, no. But I can put 5 rounds in a 10" circle with single action slow fire and rapid fire 5 rounds in the same circle at 7 yards using double action. What more do you need for a pocket pistol?
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After renting and shooting every Snub in the local store/range, I went w/ a 3" Model 60-10. Packs well and it points good enough for me.

YMMV.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got me a S&W 649-3 with Uncle Mike's grips. I was more concerened with being able to go .357 or .38 than barrel length.

Lately I've been looking at the Hogue's Zombie grips.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I carry a 2" 442 and am kicking myself for ever trading a 3" 36 with adj. sights I had [:(]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Back in the day I received a considerable amount of training with revolvers and carried them as duty guns for many years.

When talking concealed carry with a revolver, grip design is actually much more important than barrel length. The difference in 'carryability' of a 3 in. barrel compared to a 4 in. is insignificant.

A 3 in. barrel gives ballistics a lot closer to a 4 in. barrel than a 2 incher.

That one extra inch of barrel improves the balance of the gun considerably.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    That one extra inch of barrel improves the balance of the gun considerably.

It also improves the BALLISTICS of the gun, considerably, especially if you're talking a .357.

At 2" the marginal difference in performance between .357 and .38 is so little, personally I don't see the point in a 2" .357. You're just paying extra for increased muzzle flash (ie to blind you).

The quick answer is that all else being equal a 3" gun is easier to aim, gives better ballistics, and can incorporate a full length ejector rod to throw empties entirely clear of the cylinder. It "may" have better balance, that's a bit subjective.

The 2" gun is easier to slip in a pocket, and its a little harder for someone close by to physically grab the gun, but these are about the only real advantages. On a belt, its the butt of the gun that determines the concealability. Another 1" of bbl doesn't change anything.

quote:Do the better ballistics and sight radius of the 3"-38 Spl barrel offset better concealability and possible drawing speed of the shorter barrel?I think this depends mainly on how you carry it.

Again, a 3" gun can be unwieldy in a pants pocket. If that's how you're going to carry, then you'll prefer the 1-7/8" standard snub, I think. If you're carrying on a belt, I think the longer barrel offers enough real advantages to be worth consideration.

I don't think drawing speed is really a factor here at all; real life isn't a Hollywood movie "quickdraw" fight. If it takes another 0.25 - 0.5 seconds more time to draw your gun because the barrel is a bit longer, I don't think that's really going to make a difference 99% of the time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is a modified Mod 37 Airwt with steel ejector rod bushing in the frame. It was bought on E.Kieth's (my hero) recommendation
    Front locking lug was removed and 3" ejector rod installed.Springs were all modified and hammer rebound minimized.
    I carried it in the '60s but it's now relegated to a dresser drawer.
    There's a good selection of plain and stainless barrels and cylinders in the drawer to play with. Currently it has an aluminum USAF cylinder and Glasers.
    Before rebarreling it, I wanted to get other's take on the 3'' Chief.
    DCS Shooter- That was a BIG mistake.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cancel duplicate and repair computer program
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 2" revolver can be a pocket gun. My M12 needs a BIG pocket, but it is not heavy.
    A 3" revolver needs a holster. Just as well be a sixshooter as five.
    I do not care for the 3" J frame, except maybe the M60 with adjustable sights, kind of a .38-32 Kit Gun.