In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 wssm bullet question

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a winchester model 70 .223 wssm 22" barrel with a 1:10 twist rate. What bullet would you use in this rifle to shoot deer and antelope with?

Also if you were going to load for your bullet recommendation, what powder and primer would you use?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a handy rifle in .223 Rem to work up loads for a friend. I think the Barns 55 gr triple shock with the plastic tip lit by a CCI small rifle IMR 3031 24 gr.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5,

I know that the Barnes 70 gr. TSXBT works great on deer in the WSSM. You can use any 4350 powder, think Accurate 4350 or the Hodgdon flavor but the Hodgdon Hybrid 100V is my current favorite. Flip a coin on the primers, test what you have in stock.

I shoot Match bullets for hunting and Berger makes some incredible Match Hunting bullets but they can be a little more expensive than the old standards. However, given that you won't be shooting THAT many times for hunting, the expense can be mitigated.

Best.

quote:Barnes recommends a twsit rate of 1:8 or faster for the 70gr TSXBT.

Yes, that's because most folks don't run these cartridges at the upper end of the velocity range. The 70's have worked in the 2 barrels I tested but at the upper velocities.

If you don't want to invest in the 70 gr. TSXBT then you can run the 62 gr. TSX in place of those.

The 75 grain Scirocco is too long and requires at least a 1:9" twist for stability. Finding a 9" twist is harder than getting a 1:8" twist which is why most manufacturers default to the 8" twist.

Any of the Nosler Partitions or such will perform as always.

If you want to try another slightly esoteric bullet, Gerard Schultz (GS Custom) in South Africa makes a 60 gr. High Velocity bullet just for situations such as this. His daughter has opened a manufacturing facility here in the US, in Michigan, I think. This avoids the lengthy wait for bullets from ZA. I've shot several hundred of his bullets in two different designs and they all perform above what he claims.

In reality, I'd pick a couple of bullets and get to testing. Remember that shot placement is a necessity. Heart shots and spine shots work the very best, at least for meat hunters.

Best.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    SCOUT5,

I know that the Barnes 70 gr. TSXBT works great on deer in the WSSM. You can use any 4350 powder, think Accurate 4350 or the Hodgdon flavor but the Hodgdon Hybrid 100V is my current favorite. Flip a coin on the primers, test what you have in stock.

I shoot Match bullets for hunting and Berger makes some incredible Match Hunting bullets but they can be a little more expensive than the old standards. However, given that you won't be shooting THAT many times for hunting, the expense can be mitigated.

Best.

Thanks. I did look at the berger bullet selection before posting. All I found were match varmit bullets up to 64 grains and I thought they may not be tough enough for deer. They also listed a target bullet in 77 grains but no match hunting bullets in .224.

Agree, the cost of the bullet is not a big concern in hunting ammo.

Barnes recommends a twsit rate of 1:8 or faster for the 70gr TSXBT. But if folks have had good results from 1:10 I'l be willing to give them a try.

Edit: Thanks for all the replies. NN: I did look up the South African makers choices, very interesting, I saved their home page.

I'll probably try the 70gr barnes bullet first, if that doesn't work I'll go lighter.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler makes a 60 grain partition and a 64 grain suitable for deer. I'm not sure either would be my first choice in the wssm. Maybe a solid copper game bullet. I doubt the 1 in 10 would be adequate for a 70 grain Barnes even at wssm velocities.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'd give a close look at the Swift Sirocco. They are thick jacketed bonded core bullets designed for big game, 62 and 75 grain; so one or the other should work well in your WSSM
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would give the ole Winchester 64 Power Point a try.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Nosler makes a 60 grain partition and a 64 grain suitable for deer. I'm not sure either would be my first choice in the wssm. Maybe a solid copper game bullet. I doubt the 1 in 10 would be adequate for a 70 grain Barnes even at wssm velocities.

I'm partial to the 60 gr. Partition. I have seen a big elk taken with one out of a .220 Swift. With one shot. Not even a follow-up neck shot the shooter normally takes on deer. It is my choice for hunting anything with a .224" cal. that needs a bit of 'hold together'.

Edit:

TSR, Sorry, I was remiss. I have seen Barnes have some serious 'hold together'. A friend of mine from my old range in Minnesota, used nothing but Barnes on his trip to Africa. All of the plains game were taken with a Rem 700 Classic in 8x57. He brought back several of the bullets he recovered and they had all expanded perfectly and did what they were supposed to.

I will also agree that a .223 WSSM is perfectly adequate for deer. Even larger if point shots can be made on given areas of the larger game. The penetration and power transfer of a full blast .223 WSSM is pretty astounding. Also, it shoots flat enough that a longer zero allows the shooter to not have to hold anything for a longer than normal shot. And please note with those 'longer than normal' shots that the .223 WSSM has enough energy to efficiently dispatch a large animal.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand by my Barnes TSX bullets. I use them in the 223 Remington cartridge, out of a couple 1 in 8 twist AR-15's for deer...just because, to prove the notion wrong, that a 22 caliber is not a deer rifle. I specifically use the 62 grain TSX, behind now available Hodgdon CFE 223. I have used the 70 grain TSZ, too, with good results(either weight will break both shoulders on a mature whitetail, standing broadside at 200 yards). I went with the 62 grainer, for a little more speed and slightly better trajectory out to 500 yards.

I'm sure that in your 223 WSSM, you will need a bit slower powder, but the Barnes TSX, or TTSX(Tipped TSX) bullet is my choice, in most of my hunting rifles.

There is also the Nosler Partition, as mentioned, and Trophy bonded also makes ).224" diameter bullets.

Best

EDIT 1

As a side note, Remington is now loading the TSX bullets, in its new HogHammer line.

Best