In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Excessive Shipping Fees

jokor3jokor3 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN AN ITEM PURCHASED IN AN AUCTION IS QUOTED AS COSTING AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT TO BE SHIPPED TO YOU? I HAVE SHIPPED QUITE A FEW THINGS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND HAVE NOT SEEN THIS KIND OF AMOUNT. SEEMS TO BE APPROPRIATE AROUND 20.00 AND THE QUOTED FEES ARE MORE THAN 50% HIGHER. IF AN ITEM SELLS FOR LESS THAN HOPED FOR WHY IS ONE EXPECTED TO HELP MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE IN SHIPPING PROFIT?
I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR A SOLUTION. THANKS

joe c knight

Comments

• Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you could ask them to include the original shipping receipt in the package. I'm guessing that if they balk then you can get on them about the overcharge and they might drop the shipping cost down to what it should be. Just a thought.

GL
  • Options
    Prescott PetePrescott Pete Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have sold several guns on Gunbroker.I am not a dealer and therefore cannot ship handguns thru the mail.I use Fedex exclusively because they don't hassle me like UPS does.The cost for shipping thru Fedex is between $38 and$42 overnight for a handgun. I ask $30 for shipping so you can see I am losing money on the shipping.I don't jack up the price to make it up either.
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will contact seller prior to bidding. I will pay $15.00 shipping and that is all. Know that's fair as long as it's not shipped overnight w/o insurance. If buyer demands more he will have to get it from someone else. Additionally, I will not pay for any seller's FFL transfer charges.

I've observed some auctions where the seller is asking for $25 to $35 in FFL transfer fees, and then an additional $35 shipping costs. Then have the audacity to say it's a great deal because it's 10% over dealer costs.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CERTAINLY APPRECIATE THE RESPONSES. GAVE ME IDEAS I DID NOT PREVIUOSLY THINK OF.

joe c knight
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pete made a good point. You didn't say if the item in question is, or is not, a handgun. If so, the seller has no choice, as both UPS and FEDEX REQUIRE that handguns be shipped next day air (to indemnify themselves against employee theft). You can't get around this rule, since Federal law requires you to declare the contents of any package containing a firearm. Both shippers let you calculate shipping charges on their websites.

Yes, the seller could use an FFL to ship a gun by USPS, but, if he has to pay a dealer to ship it, the cost would probably be the same.

Of course, this could all have been avoided if the seller had indicated the cost of shipping, or how it would be determined, when he posted the item. If he failed to do so, you should have asked. At this point, try to negotiate a mutually acceptable shipping charge; if you can't settle it, you risk negative feedback.

Neal
  • Options
    treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if i don't like the shipping fees, i don't bid.
  • Options
    erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, have I been there. When selling I only charge the actual amount
    for shipping. A rifle costs around 15 bucks.
    Some folks are pretty crooked. I have had them charge me 20 dollars shipping when I know its' only going to cost them 5.00 on an item.
    Check shipping first.
    If they demand ridiculous shipping that negates the value of the purchase, then refuse it and report them and send a bad feedback.
    They may say all kinds of ugly things about you, but its' your decision to make a stand or not.
    I am still involved in a deal where I got cheated out of 800 dollars plus, for a night vision scope from an auction that claimed it to be worth 1500 seller cost and 1800 mfg. It wasn't. They want over 150 dollars just to accept the return. "restocking fee"
    Check peoples feed back carefully.
    I don't have a single negative myself, and my reputation means something to me. I'm not a cheat.
    Good luck.

thats'me
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THE ITEM I SPEAK OF IS A RIFLE AND IT IS BEING SHIPPED BY AN FFL HOLDER. THANKS

joe c knight
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Figure your shipping fee by going to UPS or USPS website. Give
    zip code to zip code, package size and weight, and insurance coverage
    and up comes a total. At least that is what I do when I sell, and
    that is what I charge for shipping. You can check out your seller
    the same way. Some do add for packing. I dont. Then you will know
    what you should be charged. Transfer fee ON BUYERS END, if to a FFL
    is up to buyer. Long guns I ship via USPS Priority Mailing with
    insurance and confirmation/tracking. Ammo is via UPS ground (no
    hazmat charge).
  • Options
    MyjackMyjack Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the total price (bid and shipping) is a good deal, I would have no problems what so ever with the arrangement, but I limit my bid amount accordingly.
    I do sell on several auction sites and always try to error on my behalf when I quote shipping - and state so plainly in the listing. I just sold a drum magazine; I quoted shipping at $17.50. And $20 for insurance. (Total was about $900) The buyer wanted to use a credit card - which takes $27 + off the top.
    He suggested I use the insurance to cover the credit card fees and ship it uninsured. Super offer from the buyer in my opinion so...
    I reduced the insurance to $500 paid the credit card fees and came out pretty close to cost. He was happy, (underinsured) I did the best I could and with any luck he will receive the Mag early next week. In the event something does go wrong, I have paper work showing I shipped it, and he can have some recourse with the Post Office.
    I have never had an insurance claim, but I know I'd have a problem if the shoe were on the other foot. (Me being out $900)
    And - it cost money and time to pack it, go to the Post Office or UPS, stand in line and get the job done. I can't find anyone willing to work for free - and neither do I.
    If you're buying a $1000 gun for $600 plus a higher shipping fee - I don't think that's a problem- it's when I make a bid and then learn I get raped on shipping afterwards! (That's happened once- long ago)
    Look at the whole deal and act accordingly, if you feel it's not good pass and go on. Oh by the way, there are buyers that won't bid if they feel shipping is high - and that can be a good thing!
    Good luck!
  • Options
    llibllib Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned to play the game after a period of gaining experience (you pay for experience). The last GunBroker auction handgun (new) was a lot less than a local Gun Show best price. I ask the amount of shipping and was quoted FedX $28. The bid plus $28 plus $16 transfer was $90.37 less than the Gun Show price plus 8.25% local sales tax.

Last week, while in Utah, I picked up a collectible handgun from a retail dealer. I used my C&R ffl. No local tax and $10 USPS shipping. If all the figures don't work for a fair shake, walk away.

wcreel@ccms.net