In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Predator calls-What do you use?

groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
O.K. ya'll, I'm ready to call in some songdogs here in the east. What do ya'll recommend for callers? I have a Johnny Stewart long range caller that we use for crow hunting but I would think ole mister coyote is a little too smart for a continuous tape of a sqealing rabbit for 30 minutes!! Give me some advice on mouth callers or hand callers ya'll use as well as decoys. Right now 6/28, I'd think a fawn distress or maybe even an old irate hen turkey would get the predators interest up!! What do ya'll think? GHD

Comments

• Options
    2-blade2-blade Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don"t call or shoot coyotes this time of the year.I don"t want to leave a bunch of pups to starve in the den . They may be out by this time but they cant suport themself yet.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GD, I represent several call manufactures. I will not mention there name on the board. I can tell you the world all-round champion is using them. Contact me, I will send you a call I designed, I will also tune it for you. I am on the CD titled Word Champions. I will also send you some tapes. I would love to see Miss Sarah drop a coyote. rrobison@gt.rr.com. I aso agree with 2 blade. Wait a couple of months. Come September those juvinils will make you look like a world champion.

The most important things, Are not things.

Edited by - varmit hunter on 06/28/2002 22:39:55
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    2-blade and varminthunter, Funny how you miss things!! I don't shoot very many groundhogs before the first of June either!! Same reason ya'll mentioned!! I do have a heart!! I've got friends that get started in March!! They're killing before the little ones are born. That's limiting your targets for next year!! I have one guy(the one I helped build the 6MM for last year) that had killed 114 by 5/25!!!!! Groundhogs are a renewable resource if you manage them right!! I will have to admit that I have killed at least one groundhog in each month of the year. The December groundhog was killed with an L.C.Smith double choked "full and fuller" while turkey hunting using Fed #4 shot and he was shot off a log way the heck up on a mountain that was covered with ice! He needed killing cause nothing should have been out that day! The January hog was killed at my shooting range while tuning up "Devastation Supreme"(25-06) using a new scope. He just appeared about 20 yards past the 100 yard target and I couldn't help just turning on the sandbags and blasting him!! The Feburary groundhog was classic!! February 29, 1976 while a student at VA Tech from a state owned vehicle on state property(VA Tech Dairy Farm, ( I had a kill permit signed by the Governor to hunt that property that hadn't been shot in 25 years) Sunday evening(we're not supposed to hunt on Sunday in VA) with a friends 22-250!! We killed 246 groundhogs on that property that year!! I don't kill them early anymore!! GHD
  • Options
    MillerMiller Member Posts: 175 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It feels a lot better to call an old coyote in with a mouth call but that Johnny Stewart works great. I use a Haydel's dieing cottontail for a mouth call, and it works pretty well anytime of the year. But the best action is definately with the Johnny Stewart dieing jack rabbit call. We get elevated, turn on the tape, and have shot several in one sitting. We also use the feather flex Rigor Rabbit to help persuade them out of the thick brush we hunt in. It helps to use the volume on the Johnny Stewart. Don't let it play at one constant level, turn the volume up and down occasionally.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay away as much as possible from the hand calls.I like to use a mixture of the rabbit squeel,and the pup chatter.It works great for me.

Have Fun

Rugster
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LTS,I can send you a vice. It will save on battery expence.

The most important things, Are not things.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bothered by killing before the infants are born? How many pork chops do you think you've eaten that came from pregnant sows? I don't think you'd care to hear the answer.