In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Geha 12ga

j-f-firstj-f-first Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
I recently came across a 12ga bolt action shotgun. Barrel is almost 28" long from front to breech,full choke.the gun is embossed on the stock,GEHA.Only other markings is Germany on the reciever.The action looks military,almost like a mauser.I would like to know if anybody could give me any info on this gun,I've never seen any like this,I can email pics if it would help.

J&F

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These shotguns were converted from military Model 98 Mausers after W.W.I by Gebrueder Rempt Gewehrfabrik in Suhl, Germany. They were originally low cost, and had the trade names Remo and Geha. They were imported during the early 1920's by P. von Frantzius (later Sports, Incorporated), Chicago, Illinois, and the Pacific Arms Corp., San Francisco, California. They are covered in detail in "Mauser Bolt Rifles", Third Edition, by Ludwig Olson, Pages 292-293. If you do not have access to this book I will be happy to send you Xerox copies of the pages if you send your mailing address to ccnorth@teleport.com.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    There's an article about these in the book "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank de Haas.
    Before you shoot this thing, and between each shot, make sure the bolt face is still there. They fall off and gun will still fire, a dangerous situation.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I'VE MADE A SHOP DRAWING OF THE BOLT HEAD IF ANYBODY NEEDS TO MAKE ONE
  • Options
    j-f-firstj-f-first Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for information,the gun looks to be in very good condition,I would like to have the shop drawing on this,Email me at: ortutay59@hotmail.com
    Thanks again

J&F
  • Options
    Basil_OBasil_O Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm only going to pass along what I have read about this shotgun. I got several boxes of Outdoor Life Magazine from the 1930's. This period has a monthly Arms & Ammuniton section written by Major Chas Askins. I remember reading his response to a letter asking about his opinion of this converison shotgun. He responded to the letter stating very strongly that he felt that this was a very unsafe firearm and should not be either imported or sold to the public. He went into detail about how the rife to shotgun conversion was ill conceived and downright dangerous. This individual was highly repected at the time and I would take his advice and admire it as an artifact and wallhanger.
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Balderdash Basil,I have been shooting my Remo every year since 1967 at quail,pheasant,sage hen,dove and recently wild turkey.It would seem as though even that great man at times made a miscall.As the others have warned,if the removable bolt head is not intact,weld the action closed.Or if you are handy with a lathe make one.But by all means see your favorite gunsmith so he can go over it for a clean bill of health. You might have noticed that I don't shoot waterfowl with it.Due to the high power loads required and steel shot.Loke any gun,there is a time and a place for them all.I hope this aids you.

BILL
    KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY.BUT NOT HOT.....