In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stock Care

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I read about favorite bore cleaning products frequently on this board but don't recall anyone talking about the care of wooden stocks. Should I steal my wife's furniture wax or what?

Thanks,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeff-I don't know of any wood gunstock finish that can be hurt by a light coat of carnuba paste wax such as Trewax. Apply it very sparingly and then buff with a clean soft cloth. The truth is that many modern finishes, the hard and shiney type, require little care other than to handle them with care when in the field. Once they become extensively scratched and dinged the only way to repair them satisfactorily is to strip off the original finish and start over. These are finishes such as polyurethane, varathane, etc. Finishes such as Tru Oil, Linspeed, in-the-wood oil finishes, etc. can definately benefit from a little wax. Can't hurt any wood finish that I know of. Again, use small amounts, because when it builds up it becomes unsightly and will become embedded with grit. Then, when you strip the wax off with a chemical that will disolve the wax it may attack the finish underneath. The right amount is to take the lid off the can and place one of your fingers on the wax. Just let your finger sit there for a few seconds and the warmth of your finger will melt enough wax. Rub your finger on the wood surface in a circular motion over an approx. 1 1/2 inch square area, then get more wax and do another area. Stop and buff the area you just covered about every fourth application, as wax in this small an amount dries quickly. This will be plenty to provide protection against moisture, will fill some of the pores, and provide a nice satin shine. Once or twice a year is sufficient.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best thing I think in the world for RemBDLs or Win Mod 70s all of them is pledge.It does wonders on stocks old or new plus it leaves a Protective film on your stock.

Good Luck.

Rugster
  • rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    On older stocks I use old english red oil. It works miracles.

Respect those who protect us now just as you would those who died for us in the past.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, guys.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.