In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

subsonic bullets

ghost614ghost614 Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
anyhow, i was looking in the auctions and saw some subsonic rounds for sale, manufactured by a russian outfit called silver bear. first off, i never heard of these guys so any input on how the quality is or reliability would be helpful. secondly, the claim made is that they will function flawlessly in any semiautomatic pistol, but i'm not so sure. i remember hearing how subsonic rounds were jam prone, though i can't remember were. but to the point, if anyone could enlighten me on these two questions that would be most helpful. thanks.

Comments

• Options
    erictheredericthered Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't address your question, but I decided to make a reply so that your subject will go back to the start of the page. You may get more opportunities for answers that way. I also would like to know the same things.

thats'me
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I can't address the question of quality, But I can shed some ligth on subsonic ammo. Subsonic ammo TENDS to be more accurate. When a projectile approches the speed of sound(somewhere around 1200 fps!??) It faces a compression wall (is that the right term ...somebody?) and as it passes thru into sonic flight(pass the speed of sound) it's alittle turbulent, so some accurecy can be lost at this point ...as I understand the theroy. *interesting note here, this was why silencers don't work with sonic ammo ...it works on the muzzle blast, but the projectile breaking the sound burier makes the proverbual "sonic boom".
    So to keep the projectile subsonic a reduced charge is use, this may or may not cause ejection problems in semi automatic weapons, which need a certain amount of recoil to function properly. HOPE this helps ...Mark

"FEAR the Goverment, that fears your ARMS"
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have not used this brand, however I have used subsonics in my 10/22 with no problem.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be the first time that I have heard of a subsonic round functioning a semi auto flawless.Also I think Im thinking of the right ammo if I am there corrosive. And you have alot of misfires.

Rugster

Edited by - rugster on 06/30/2002 12:14:06
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The speed of sound is closer to 1100 ft/sec. (If I just did the quick math right. Speed of sound is around 760mph)

All bullets achieve their velocity "in the barrel"--when they exit, they are "coasting". If a bullet leaves the barrel traveling at a super-sonic speed, at some point it will "coast down" to a subsonic speed (assuming it has the space to), but it will not pass "into" a sonic compression wall--as for example, a jet plane will as it approaches the speed of sound.

The only point "trans-sonic" flight for a bullet could occur would be during deceleration. Perhaps some turbulence from interference with the "sonic flight air compressions" could interfere with the bullet stability, but I've never really heard of that as a problem.

The "sonic flight air compressions"--like little "sonic booms"--make suppressors less effective overall--which is why subsonic ammo is prefered if a suppressor is used.

I do not know about the Silver Bear brand (but would like to hear from anyone who has used it).

Generally, heavier bullets are used to achieve "sub-sonic" bullet flight. This can sometimes be a problem in auto's; something like a 147 gr. 9mm bullet can be longer and "fatter" at its point, than something like a 115gr bullet. This can sometimes cause feeding problems.
  • Options
    LIKTOSHOOTLIKTOSHOOT Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....and all this time I though my .45acp was broken. Simply would not cycle .45acp.....cause it`s sub-sonic. Rugster, you crack me up....are you really for real???? LTS
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Hello.

I just wanted to share my own experiences with subsonic ammo.

First of all, it's not the ammo that desides wether a weapon can recycle on subsonic ammo - it's more the question, wether the weapon can recycle on the lower pressure or recoil generated from the subsonic cartridges.

Subsonic ammo - quite noticably - doesn't go as fast or as far as regular ammo and they don't produce as much pressure either.

Wether subsonic ammo is more accurate - i don't know. at the short ranges i've tried it, i can't tell the difference between subsonic and hyper-velocity ammo - other than hyper-velocity tends to shoot a bit above subsonic ammo at the same range. (if the scope or weapon is ranged in with one of the types of ammo)
    with the different speeds and bulletweights - you can expect some variation in accuracy - also the groups wouldn't stay the same.

I've tried subsonic ammo in cal. 9*19mm and .22LR semi-auto.
    both weapons went flawlessly with both subsonic as well as faster sonic cartridges =o).

I don't see that subsonic ammo would be more corrosive.
    subsonic ammo (modern ammo) is also made with non-corrosive primers and powder - so that shouldn't be a problem.

It is also right, that silencers can't take away the sonic boom.
    it can only take away the boom caused by the gunpowder - i.e. the explosion or gaspressure causing the bullet to accelerate.
    Firing a sonic bullet in a silenced weapon - will still give off a considerable boom, however it's not quite as loud.

Yet, as far as i know - heavier bullets are commonly used in sub-sonic bullets - however, just as commonly, the usual bullet is used.
    I guess it goes both ways - why? don't know.. i'd like to learn.
    I'd suspect it's got to do with energy.

A friend of mine had some 30.06 bullets re-calibrated to subsonic.
    the reload-guy simply extracted the bullet, did some tests with the weapon and using new powder and reloaded a new batch of 100 cartridges to subsonic.
    that worked okay with his FN-FAL. (with the gas-reload-knob set to almost minimum load).
    i never tried the FN-FAL with the subsonic, but have watched him a number of times with a customed silencer too.

as regarding to the subsonic bullets... go try them out, you might get surprised. =o) as with other ammo - some types just don't "fit" as well as others.
    buy a small sample - try it - if it works okay in yours - be happy that it might not work in your neighbours gun =o)

Hope you'd figure it out.

Regards
    Peter E Jeppesen
    Greenland.

I love my silenced .22 Anshutz rifle =o) And soon to be Steyr Scout with 10-round ext-set. ;o_
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    A reduced power recoil spring MAY be needed for reliable function. Happy gave the best info listed thusfar. Try a small batch/box and see. Everything I have heard about the Silver Bear ammo is typical of Russian ammo, not the best quality and consistancy but generally work.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    doomsknight62doomsknight62 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Silver Bear ammo in the .45 caliber- I experienced only one or two bad rounds out of each box. The price, well, somewhat made up for this, but let's put it this way- I wouldn't trust my life to the stuff.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot several hundred rounds of 9mm Silver Bear. Had a couple jams with it, but nothing unusual considering the price. Like doomsknight, I wouldn't trust my life to it, but for plinking, can't beat the price. And it is NOT corrosive according to the box and my gun shop.
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently tried the Aguila 60 grain Eley primed .22 SSS (Sniper SubSonic)lr. They are made in Mexico ($3.99 per box. They feed well in my Semiauto .22 conversion kit for the Hk 91. Very quite and carry alot of weight.They are built using a .22 short case. Aguila also makes the .22 lr. in a 30 grain with only primers for powder (600 ft per sec.)They also have the fastest .22 lr. It has 30 grains and travels 1750 ft. per sec. They are wicked and seem to be faster than the Stingers (1500 ft. per sec.) I have been using. Best, Robert

"Endurance"