In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Howa 1500 Bolt actions???

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if the Howa 1500 series rifles are good rifles and accurate, particularly the heavy barreled varmint version in any chambering. They cost less than 400 and are supposed to be up there with the remingtons and weatherbys??? Anyone read or have any experience with these guns?

Comments

• varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three. All of them .750" groups out of the box. Best rifle for the money. If you do a search I think you will find many good post about Howas.

The most important things, Are not things.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I agree with varmit hunter, 100%. The Howa's and Savage's are the best two guns for the money you can buy.

Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howa is the manufacturer for Weatherby. There is also a current
    recall on the bolts. 101
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    101Airborne wonder if that recall applies to the new Vanguards?

Thanks for the information.

Rugster
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howa S&W Mossberg and Weatherby were all the same gun, and were all recalled. The only models affected were made between 70 & 93. It is possable to assemble the bolt wrong and this is what the recall repairs. The following are cut n paste information

Weatherby
    You should immediately remove from your stock any "Vanguard" rifles by Weatherby with the involved serial numbers, and follow the instructions regarding upgrade of affected Rifles. A SAFETY UPGRADE on all Vanguard by Weatherby brand rifles manufactured between the years 1970 and 1993. The affected rifles bear serial numbers from one of the following series on the receiver: 00001 - 03810; V00001 through V80966; VX00001 through VX44065; VS00001 through VS23699; VL00001 through VL46984; W0001 through W0099; and NV0001 though NV0099. The safety upgrade will prevent misassembly of the bolt, which might occur on the affected rifles. Such misassembly might contribute to hazardous conditions in which the rifle can be accidentally discharged without the bolt being fully engaged, causing serious injury. You can call Weatherby at 1-800-227-2018 or visit them online at www.weatherby.com to receive a bolt return kit. This upgrade is FREE and we encourage you to pass this notice on to anyone who you may know that owns one of the affected rifles. NO OTHER WEATHERBY RIFLES ARE AFFECTED, SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS! See Weatherby Safety Notice

Howa, Mossberg, S&W
    Anyone owning a 1500, 1550 or 1700LS rifle by howa should STOP using it. An accidental discharge could occur BEFORE the bolt is entirely closed creating a hazardous situation. For affected SN.s, contact Http://regcen.com/howa/index.html or call 800-456-5131. They will send you a package so you may send in the bolt only for a modification to the sleeve.
    These rifles all belong to the S/W, Mossberg and Howa MFr.s. I'm waiting for mine to come back. They did however forget to put pre-pay postage on the return envelope. If this happens,call them and they will send you another return envelope. These people take their time, so I'm told not to get too excited.
    edited November -1
    Rugster,
    Not sure. Howa recall is for Model 1500, 1550 and 1700LS
    series rifles. Made between 1970 & 1993. The affected serial
    numbers are: PN00010 through PN87159, LS000001 through
    LS05150, M000001 through M020422, LS10001 through LS10309,
    B000001 through B028450. These Howa's were distributed through
    S&W, Mossberg and Interarms. www.regcen.com/howa
    Rifle can accidentally fire w/o bolt being fully engaged.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got a 1500 S&W sure as heck you can pull the triger with the bolt handle only a fraction of the way closed and it will fire.(and of course i tried it with an empty chamber)Is that what they are talking about?
    anyways thanks for heads up.
    doc

I dont give my guns without somebody getting hurt!
    edited November -1
    COWDOC,

Answer is a positive yes. Go to the site! I do not shoot
    Japanese Guns nor game. Howa is going BK, just released. Guess
    as because liability. There are many recalls out there. As in case,
    received a letter from ATF re: Vektor. Hell, I do not even know what this gun is all about. DO not sell or purchase crapola. This Vecktor?
    offered a $ 50.00 to dealers to retrieve these arms. Then went BK.
    FYI: 101