In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger #1 45-70 Ammo

kidsgunkidsgun Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I bought a used Ruger #1 in 45-70 today and wonder about ammo? I'll be using it as a saddle gun in the mountains. I don't intend to use it for hunting except to discourage a mountain lion or bear. Is the 405 grain my best bet? I don't reload. Any seasoned 45-70 shooter's comments welcome. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Bill

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I have one, It's very acc. But I reload for mine and the recoil is kind of brisk in fact I have shook 2 lueople x3 loose on it in the past 2 Mo. I use the 400 grain bullet, If you are going to use factory loads, they will be very mild.
  • Options
    flatdogflatdog Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kidsgun, congrats on your purchase you've got a good one. Got a few things to say that i hope will help. First off you say you will use it to discourage lions and bears. So you will need a compact, fast to mount, powerful rifle. The # 1 fills the bill, but it is a single shot. While you don't need a full-auto i strongly feel that you need more than one round quickly available for your purpose. Consider this, lions are amazingly quick and bears are deceptively so. It will have seen you first so your reaction time i.e. fight or flight, is a primary concern. You will be required to place a round that will incapacitate not necessarily kill the attacker,into a very small area (not the whole animal) that is moving towards you. The range will rapidly decrease. The angle to the target will become acute etc. etc. I think that you would be better served with a lever action like the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70.

You won't loose any of the practical benefits of the Ruger and you will gain three more rounds already in the rifle. Not between your fingers or in a butt cuff. If you doubt this advantage try this simple test. Place two rounds on an 8 in. target @ 7yrds. as quickly and accurately as possible from any condition of readiness that you choose with each rifle. I think you will find the lever action makes the task much easier.

The Ruger is stronger than the Marlin as far as the loads it will handle. But i submit that factory loads including Garrett, Cor Bon and Buffalo Bore are safe in either rifle and will handle the job at hand. I would go with the heavier weight strongly constructed bullets. The premium brands cost more but I have not heard of any of them breaking scopes. I would choose the 400 gr. or heavier load over the 300gr. in the regular factory load for the extra bullet weight. Try your selections on the 7yrd. drill. Pick the one with the most power that you can accurately/truthfully control.

I view with a jaundiced eye any load that will break two Leupold scopes in so short a time.

My #1 is set up with a Burris 2x7 for the 300gr. load.
    The Guide Gun is set up with a Williams Lever Action Fire Sight Peep Set. The rear step ladder site has been removed and the slot has been replaced with a standard slot blank, also from Williams. Use the largest rear aperture. Look through it not at it! The front sight will center itself on target. That is the way it was designed to be used. You get the combination of speed and accuracy. But any quality peep/ghost ring system will work as well.

The recoil pad leaves much to be desired replace it with a decelerator type pad, your shoulder will love you for it.

You might want to start reloading as it will give you the economical means to do the most important thing.Practice with your intended load or a simular one. Hope that this will help you. Whatever rifle you choose good luck.

flatdog.

" Love is what goes on between a man and a .45 pistol that won't jam."
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being so that you chose the Ruger NO.1 rifle I would go with a heavy Hornady bullet.It seems to me ,as I read alot that your rifle is one of the most common Safari rifles there is.

Good Luck.

Rugster
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I read alot that your rifle is one of the most common Safari rifles there is."
    Bolt actions, followed by double rifles would top the list of safari rifles, with single shots and levers lost in the dust.
    I will admit that the #1 is chambered in the Africian safari calibers, but those that hunt in Africa arn't the ones buying them.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ones that hunt in Africa may be just fine with a #1 but I guarantee you that their guides aren't!
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kidsguns,
    To answer your question, go with a 300 gr factory load. I am assuming you are talking about mostly black bears, this load will shoot through any lion and most bears. The 405's are downloaded for trap door guns.

KC
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found the 300 grain Winchester factory loads to be extremely accurate in my No. 1. However, if I were going to hunt large game with it, I would increase the power by handloading...and still use the 300 grain bullet.

You can considerably increase the power of the 45-70 in a No. 1 and do it safely by handloading.

My 2 cents. :-)
  • Options
    kidsgunkidsgun Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks to those who responded, particularly Flatdog, who obviously spent a lot of time organizing his thoughts and articulating many important ideas. I'm looking forward to my use of the Ruger. Perhaps it is about time to start reloading. a neighbor has done it for years and has offered to provide instruction and guidance. Thanks again! Kidsgun
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Hey Flatdog, My 45-70 Ruger #1 Has messed up 2 X3 leupold. My loads are 405 grain slugs with medium load of 3031. I have got 4 shots in to a one inch groop at 100 yards off the bench, then when I go to adj scopes for point of inpact, my gropes open up to 2 inches, If it aint bad scopes WHAT IS IT. Would appreciate any advice. thank you.
  • Options
    flatdogflatdog Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Chuck,
    Just read your post. Don't blame your Ruger I think you need to look elsewere for the problem. Your mild load, you don't say how many grains of 3031 used, should not shake a quality scope loose let alone two in so short a time frame. If the only change made was for p.o.i.
    sounds like the cross hairs are the problem. Group size should not alter with a change in p.o.i. The cross hairs may be shifting so slightly from shot to shot due to recoil that you don't notice. But it can impact your group size as well as it's location on target. If this is the case the solution is to contact Leupold.Tell them the problem and have them correct it.
    There are other things about scope choice that are important but if your recticle is broken you can't do your work. The main thing, in my opinion, that you absolutely can not do without is repeatability of settings for your adjustments.If you have that the other problems like the one you encountered don't seem to crop up as much.They seem to be engineered out.
    These things are at least a place to start,something to think about. Let me know how things go.

flatdog.

" Love is what goes on between a man and a .45 pistol that won't jam."
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    I just wanted to be number 11!!!!! ('Cuz it drives the Cap'n NUTZ!!)

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!