In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

??? ON MARLIN

nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in Ask the Experts
I saw in the paper a marlin 450 for sale.is that a model or caliber?its a lever action with cheap scope and case with ammo what would be a good price ? THANKS

Comments

• will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    What's the price? A Marlin chambered in 450 is hard to buy ammo for so be prepared to reload. I do hear it's a hard hitting caliber.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lever action, blued it's around $410.00 new. Ammo is salty around $25.00 a box.
  • nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    says 500, but who knows what he would take but even 400 sounds to high,has bushnell 3x9 hard case and 60 rounds
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can reload your shells I would say $450.00.You must be heading to Africa!!

Good Luck.

Rugster
  • bullelkbullelk Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy, that's a killer. I don't know how much worse it is than the 444.
  • jorgyjorgy Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That gun is one bucking son-of-a gun if you can handle it. Hope you
    have strong shoulders & good earmuffs. I have seen 450 ammo for $25/
    box. Very definitely a reloading proposition. The guns new usually
    run $400.00 to $500.00. If you find somebody a little gun shy you geta
    better deal. Hang on to that gun when you shoot!
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a little bigger than I'd wanna take dear hunting, but if I was going to pop a black bear, it sounds ideal.

Blue Book lists them at $450 in 98% condition, and then drops to $375 in 95%.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Look in your local shops for a 1895 in 45/70. Ammo is a little cheaper and more readily available. Still kicks like a mule, but you can get tougher with time.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    Will270win@nraonline.com
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that the .45/70 was once a blackpowder cartridge. Do you think it would be safe to put a blackpowder load thew a new marlin rifle.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blackpowder loads have much less pressure than sm,okeless loads so there is no amount of black that you could not fire SAFELY in the new MArlins....Nice thing about Marlin guns is that you can clean the bore from the breech end.Use a mixture of 50% denatured alcohol with 50% peroxide for easy cleaning.Have fun.modoc

BILL
    KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY.BUT NOT HOT.....