In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

parallax adjustment - Tasco

altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited June 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a 6-24x44 Tasco Target scope but no instructions. Would someone please describe the correct way to adjust the rear parallax adjustment ? Any insights greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Comments

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Altos

When it comes to "Tasco" scopes may I be allowed to suggest "Mobuck" on this forum, whose e-mail is robertthead@hotmail.com.........

I an reasonably certain that he can get you the information that you may need.

Best Regards
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's easy to do, but first what do you mean by 'rear...adjustment.
    Tasco has front/objective, and some side adjustment at the 9 O'clock
    position across from the windage.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guns and Glass...
    Could be true on the models you have. On the SS10x42 the parallax is on the side as you noted, but not on the SS16x42. Both that model and the 6-24x44 Target have a rear parallax adjustment ring.

My pure guess is that you set the scope for near distance and screw the adjustment all the way in. Then, as it is set for farther distances, move the adjustment ring out until the parallax appears minimized. But that's just a guess...

Thanks,
    altos
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are the models TG624x, or VAR624x?

It is impossible to adjust parallax in the rear. The rear(occular) of the scope can be only used to adjust the eye for the reticle.
    The image plane for distance is done in the front(first focal plane) which is right after the objective lens.
    That can be accomplished by moving the objective lens, or the erector assembly.

If the adjustment for the eye is not correct, the whole scope is off.
    No matter who makes it. Simple physics.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GunsandGlass,
    Yes, I believe scope #1 is a TG624x44DS.

The other scope is from SWFA, a Tasco SS16x42. The SWFA site
    (swfa.com) says that there is a "rear parallax adjustment" on
    this model as well as the SS20x42. Maybe they don't know what
    they are selling or advertising.

Any ideas ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Won't be thje first time somebody got the front & rear mixed.

Focusing procedure is as follows, working from front to the real rear.

1.Turn Objective to Infinity setting. Looks like figure 8 sideways.
    2.Idealy the Windage, and Elevation should be at their middle setting.
    3.Turn magnifaction ring to the HIGHEST power.
    4.Looking through the scope at the whitest backround, the whiter the better(it can be a wall 10' away), look at the reticle.
    5. Look for two(2) things; First-the reticle is black. If it isn't the scope is being held on an angle, or your looking at it on an angle. Position your eye directly behind it and centered.
    Second- it should be sharp, crisp, and clear. Try to use the point where the thick & thin sections meet.
    6. VERY IMPORTANT..... Do #5 for ONLY two(2)-three(3) seconds!!!!!!!!!
    I find counting, 'one one thousand, and two one thousand, and three one thousand' works well.
    7.Looking away in the distance, not focusing on anything. Just gazing.
    Turn the eye piece out one(1) turn. Repeat #5 & #6.
    8. If not sharp. repeat #5,6,and 7. Pay attention to #6 & 7. Continue till reticle starts getting sharper. Then go to only 1/2 turn. Then as it gets sharper, 1/8 turn. If it gets fuzzy go back two turns, and repeat #5, 6, 7, and 8. Pay attention to #6 & 7.
    9. When it is the sharpest. Lock the ring against the eyepiece.

If you don't follow these instructions, in their order, you will never see as well as you can.

You should now be able to view objects at any distance, at any power, and BOTH reticle, and object should be as clear as you can get when adjusting the objective.

Remember, the #'s on the Objective are only good approximations. Ie, if your at a Certified 100 yd. range, and the best picture has the Objective #100yds a little above or below the mark, that's normal.Adjust till they're BOTH clear.

This applies to ANY scope. However, better scopes will be brighter, sharper, more color correct, etc.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When G&G speaks ,It pays to listen.

The most important things, Are not things.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guns and Glass,

Thank you very much. I now have an early morning project...

Thanks again !

enjoy,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How did your Sunday morning project work out?

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    guns and glass,

The project, thanks to your advice, worked quite well. I managed
    a couple of 5 shot, 50 yard, groups with my Anschutz measured at 3/8" from outside to outside, widest gap in the single hole. For me and my tired old eyes, that's a victory for modern science. Thanks for all the advice and help !

altos