In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser 1909 action

countershaftcountershaft Member Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
Up to what caliber could you safely re-barrel a "excellent" 1909 mauser action and have a safe chamber pressure?

Comments

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1909 Mauser is about the best "98" design available. It can be chambered to any sporting caliber from standard to magnums!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'ld say Hangfire is correct but would add that unless you want to convert a lot of other parts (like the magazine well) stick to a cartridge that has an overall length and diameter that will still feed and a base diameter that fits on the existing bolt face. Getting outside those parameters will get expensive quickly! Any cartridge that I am familiar with should stay within the limits of the reciever. Since you are rebarreling, the new barrel will be proofed within the pressure limits of the round in question.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to go with a magnum caliber check out ER Shaw's they do magnum conversion to M98's very reasonably. Their barrel aren't bad either.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    E R Shaw is great go for it.
  • Options
    hornethornet Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1909 action is a great action to build any caliber up to a 300 Weatherby mag with some modifacations. I built a 338 Winchester Short Mag on one of my 1909 and it handles the round with no problems. I did have to do some trile and era on the feed rails to get it to feed properly. It also is a 3 shot rifle instead of a 4 shot because the 338 WSM brass has such a large diamiter. Anyone needing info on a 338 WSM I will be glad to share all the info I have on this wonderfull round. I can be contacted at bkt76rpt79@aol.com

Hornet