In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 experts - safety troubles

ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
Howdy...I had a little mishap wherein my Springfield Champion (4" barrel 1911A1) safety got stuck on. Upon closer inspection, after fiddling with it to get the safety off and verify the chamber was clear, the trouble is that the tube that houses the pin that the safety presses forward separates from the body of the gun when the safety is on, so that the pin flops over the top of the safety handle and prevents the handle from being pushed downward.

Anyone have this happen before? Is there a home remedy or do I need to find a gunsmith? I am pretty mechanically proficient but I am lacking in both tools and experience working up close and personal with this particular gun. Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's called the "Plunger Tube" Brownells www.brownells.com sells them, for around $15.

The only problem is that it's "staked" to the frame. A special tool is required, it will set you back $30.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is replacing the tube necessary, or can it be "re-staked"? Is the tool given a special name? Is the replacement job within my abilities? I don't want to ruin my gun, as it's my first 1911 (and only, so far, but it won't be the last) and I love it dearly. :)

Thanks for the quick response...I'm a little bit more at ease now. $50 is nothing compared to a new 1911. :)
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    Is replacing the tube necessary, or can it be "re-staked"? Is the tool given a special name? Is the replacement job within my abilities? I don't want to ruin my gun, as it's my first 1911 (and only, so far, but it won't be the last) and I love it dearly. :)

Thanks for the quick response...I'm a little bit more at ease now. $50 is nothing compared to a new 1911. :)

I don't know what your abilities are? If you have never worked on guns, it would be prudent to take it to a COMPETENT gunsmith. If he doesn't know what he's doing or use the correct tool, he could screw up your pistol.
    Ask him if he has staked plunger tubes on 1911's, and has the correct tool to do it? The problem is that the lugs on the tube have to be staked to the left inner surface of the receiver.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Like I said, I'm mechanically competent but don't have a lot of experience messing with gun internals. How much would a reasonable gunsmith charge for this, parts and labor? Thanks for telling me the right part name and the right questions to ask - I don't want any two-bit operation screwing up my baby. [:)]
  • Options
    azgunnut2@yahoo.comazgunnut2@yahoo.com Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes , it is called the plunger tube , we have seen this many times ?
    we normally "fix" this problem (labor costs) for apx. a 20.00 spot .
    sometimes you may need a part or two ( new tube & plunger ect.)??? min. costs on these , let us know if we can help......
    Thanks & Good Luck !!!!!!!

Join / Support the NRA
    Guns are my friends !!!

Gunsmith / LEO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by azgunnut2@yahoo.com
    Yes , it is called the plunger tube , we have seen this many times ?
    we normally "fix" this problem (labor costs) for apx. a 20.00 spot .
    sometimes you may need a part or two ( new tube & plunger ect.)??? min. costs on these , let us know if we can help......
    Thanks & Good Luck !!!!!!!

If your name is accurate, whereabouts in the state are you located, and when can I bring it by?
    [:)]
  • Options
    azgunnut2@yahoo.comazgunnut2@yahoo.com Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    Well the name is a let-over from my days in AZ...at times I wish I was still there...anyhow , we are now Located in S.E. Tn....
    as stated in the email I sent you...
    Thanks & Good Luck !!!!!

Join / Support the NRA
    Guns are my friends !!!

Gunsmith / LEO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone recommend a good 1911 'smith in the Phoenix area (preferably NE valley but 'have gun, will travel' applies here)? Thanks. [:)]
  • Options
    buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    zerodin if i were in your shoes before i spent any more time and or money i would give sprigfield customer service a call and explan your situation you may find them to be very helpful. i have not dealt with them personally but i have had gun gliches before and if you call the factory many times they will fix the problem for next to nothing or nothing. one way or the other it will not hurt to give them a call.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The word from Springfield is that the lifetime warranty would cover this, and I have an RMA#. However, for the cost of shipping I could probably get it done locally without waiting 30 days for Springfield's warranty repair to get back to me. That would void the warranty, but only on the plunger tube, so if I had a problem with something else it'd still be under warranty.

So, if I can find a 'smith in town I'll go there - if not, I'll send it in and be parted from my baby for an entire month. Anyone know someone in Phoenix? Thanks!