In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TC Encore 12ga or Benelli Nova

DBLX9786DBLX9786 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a dilemma. My father is giving me his Encore 50 cal, and I am in the market for a new 12ga. I have been looking at both the Benelli Nova and the Turkey Barrel for the Encore. Which would you choose? Why?

The only thing really holding me back from the Encore is the fact it is single shot and my frame is stainless which I would have to cover up when turkey hunting.

Thanks in Advance...

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have the Encore stainless frame and there is absolutely no need to cover it up when turkey hunting. I have killed a lot of turkeys with a blued/wood combo shotgun and an all black shotgun. IMHO, the belief that you need a full camo gun for turkey hunting is something that was conjured up by gun makers to get you to pay $100 more for a gun that it cost them $10 to put camo on. Plus, if you have the camo stock, forend, and barrel, the 2" X 2" exposed area of the frame will be pretty hard to see from 40 yards away.

Now, the biggest difference between the Nova and the Encore is that the Encore has a 3" chamber and the Nova has a 3-1/2" chamber. So the question is "How much do you want to punish yourself?". Both hammer the shoulder pretty good. You can get the recoil reducer for the Nova. The cost of a used Nova is comparable to the camo Encore barrel and forend (the ML forend will not fit the shotgun barrel), so it is a wash there. The final thing to consider is if you want to have a quick follow up shot. I can reload my Encore and get back on target almost as fast as I can with a pump-gun, but that is because I have practiced it with the Encore and I don't have a lot of practice with a pump-gun.

This is just my $.02.
  • Options
    WoodrowUSMCWoodrowUSMC Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the real question here is: do you want and will you use the rifle your Dad will give you or not? If you take the Encore and buy the shotgun barrel then use it that's great and I'm sure that would make your Dad happy. However, if you take the Encore and then buy the Nova to hunt with it might not set well with your Dad even though he probably would never mention it. In my opinion, accept the Encore from your Dad, buy whatever barrel you want, camo the stainless frame, and go turkey hunting. Regarding needing additional shots, in most turkey hunting scenarios you only shoot one time. Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    DBLX9786DBLX9786 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have decided on the encore. WoodrowUSMC, you are right about what my Dad will do. I believe I made the right decision.

Thanks again.