In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 39 octagon info

secnwindsecnwind Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a Marlin model 39 octagon barrel.. it has an asterix on the top tang and ser# S109XX on the bottom.. can anyone tell me about when it was made, and what if anything does the "S" in the serial number stand for.. Thanks, Joe

Comments

• Options
    4440rk4440rk Member Posts: 495 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I have is made in 1958-1959 and letter is code for year of manufacture. Maybe someone else has better info, but that is all I have.
  • Options
    secnwindsecnwind Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    with the octagon barrel I would have thought it was pre-war??.. Thanks again for any info.. Joe
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    secnwind:

You might have the early Marlin Model 39 with the "S" prefix. The Marlin 39s that have "no" prefix, or an "S" prefix" should not be used with high-speed cartridges." Those that are so marked with the prefix "HS" indicates that the bolt has been improved, and that use of high-speed cartridges are okay. The change from the "S" prefix to "HS" prefix came about in 1932. Those with "no" prefix, or the "S" prefix are more valuable than later guns.

Note of Exception: Some of the early Marlin 39s that are marked with the "S" prefix, to my understanding, have the "improved bolt" that came with those marked with the "HS" prefix guns.

The asterisk that you mentioned is probably a "six pointed star" mark that is the inspector's marking, which mean that "the gun was made as near perfection as the finest of materials, equipment and skills can make it."

Henry and 4440rk are correct in that the "S" prefix also means a date of manufacture as noted for later models of the 39.
    What's next?