In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22LR in 22Mag

SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a cheap little single action revolver. It has a cylinder for .22LR and another for .22Mag.

The gun will shoot .22Mags all day long, without problems. The .22LR cylinder doesn't cycle correctly. It has "ring" around it from where the firing pin strikes. It strikes a different place everytime on that cylinder. What's my problem here? I've had this gun for years and never fooled with it much because of this problem. I'd like to be able to fix it if possible.

If I can't fix it, is it safe to shoot the .22Lr in the Mag cylinder? I know the case thickness is a little different, but would it matter being a single action revolver?

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the make of your gun?/ Do NOT shoot the lr in the mag cylinder.
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I'd take it to a gunsmith pronto.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting LR in the mag cylinder will likely split the case, can hurt the revolver and you. 22 LR is appreciably smaller than 22 Mag. Many RF weapons should not be dry fired, since firing pin will strike edge of cylinder/chamber, damaging it. Can be fixed, but takes a little skill. Sounds as if the star rachet on the rear of the cylinder may be wonked up. As the man said, take it to a pistolsmith, and do NOT try shooting LRs in the Mag cylinder.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your 22LR cylinder wasn't original for your revolver (or somehow damaged and out of time). The timing is wrong. As others have said -take this to a smith before something bad happens.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.