In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FNP 40 reloading question

adisonrainadisonrain Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
I bought a FNP 40 (40 S&W) the other day and it seems to be very solid. I would like to reload for this but the Lee reloading manual cautions against guns with a loading ramp. I am fairly new to reloading and I have loaded quite a few rounds for 4 different rifles. So what is the reason on this? If you can do it, is there something special you should do? Any help on this would be apreciated greatly!

Comments

• Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you dont crimp the round right, it might push the bullet into the already hi-psi case...that equals a blown up gun if your lucky.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree with MR GUNZ post on some points but let me say I have reloaded and shot 250,000 + mild target loads in one of my series 70 colt 45ACP's. All semi auto pistols have a feed ramp but some are cut deeper then others this leads to unsupported cases The Glock and Kimbers with external extractor are 2 of these "LET THE FLAMES BEGAN" No manufacture will recommend shooting reloads because they don't know the condition of your fired brass "if you see a buldged case throw it away". They don't have any control over the pressure of your loads and some reloaders load to +++P+++ pressure levels. If your sizer die is the correct size and you taper crimp the projectile will be held correctly and not get pushed down in the case."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"[:p][:p]sounds like you are good to go just start will mild loads and work your way up watching for trouble the 40 is a high pressure round with a small case so be careful. Good luck and good shooting[:p][:p]i
  • Options
    adisonrainadisonrain Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use the Lee crimper which works well on my rifle loads. I took the bbl out and the ramp on my Fn is not deep and the entire case looks well supported.