In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.50 Cal - Nononsense

MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
Question; did you build the 50 in your photo? What is the best foundation to start with? I have a customer wearing me out to obtain and or build a single shot 50 BMG for 1000 yd "plinking" as he says.

He wants it to print quarter size groups.....hahaha

Any comments and education would be appreciated.

Paul
Mountain Magic Gunsmithing

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Madman,

Plinking? My kinda guy!

Three parts:

The rifle is a PGM Hegate II Ultima Ratio modular rifle. It's made in France and marketed worldwide, yes, even here in the States. No I didn't build it, it's a concept that any number of us work on from time to time in an attempt to get a 'kit' to be more flexible and down to a more manageable size and weight. I have fired one though.

I think his budget will control what he decides once he sees what the initial investment is for the entire operation. It's not just the rifle. The scopes can run large dollars simply due to what they have to stand up to as far as recoil is concerned. Most of the shooters I know use the NightForce. Do NOT forget to prepare him with the cost of dies, press (yep, a big one!), brass, bullets and of course a ton of powder. Fortunately the powder is available as surplus and very reasonably priced. However, the big glitch right now is brass. It's getting to be difficult to find, let alone buy. He should round up his source for brass and bullets then get on with the selection committee for the rifle.

If I was going to stick with a single shot, I'd look into a McMillan and see what their schedule is. They are usually behind further than the stock shop but it leaves more time to prepare for the total cost. Otherwise, look into the Armalite AR-50, Anzio Gunworks and even Barrett. I've shot all but the Anzio and they will be good shooters. The best list is on the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) website as it contains all of the suppliers and makers. If he wants to go full boat, I'd point him to the Accuracy International fifty and watch him squirm. My concentration is on the takedown aspects of the barrel in the field for easier handling.

"Quarter-size groups". O.K. but I doubt it. Let him shoot one and see what it takes.

Let me know if need some more. I'm out all day today but I'll check in later tonight.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense;

I was out most of yesterday too. Will check out the FCSA site. Is a Steyr anything worth lookin into?

Paul
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Madman,

I couldn't get comfortable shooting the Steyr. It just didn't seem to fit me right even with the adjustable cheekpiece and buttstock assembly.

In my experience, I get better accuracy at long ranges from slightly heavier built rifles chambered for the .300 RUM and the .338 RUM. I understand the drive and desire to own a .50 cal. rifle but they aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks much....got another question comin soon as I get the details straight again. Be well

Paul
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Here is another one you can look at.

http://www.cobb50.com/ba50.htm

If you steer him away from the .50 they also make an excellent rifle in .338 Lapua Mag. It is the MCR-400.

I have seen these guns in action and they are outstanding in the accuracy department. There was a guy from Cobb out at the range a couple of weeks ago shooting a prototype that they are building in .416. He shot a 0.75" 300 yard group, then went on to say that they still hadn't quite perfected the headspace on the rifle.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw the Bolt 50 on the tube the other day.

I'd rather have an Iver Johnson / Daisy 600 / Aimstar 1500 - but this looks like a well built rifle.

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/AW.html#aw50

The Daisy:

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn61-e.htm