In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trap/Skeet Shotguns...

Mo GritsMo Grits Member Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in Ask the Experts
If a fella was going to get started shooting in this sport...What would be a good starter shotgun? (it would have to be a good enough beginner to not need to upgrade within a few months)...Thanks y'all!

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different gun for each. Ruger red lable would do fine.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Depends on how much that feller might want to spend...personal fit will play a big part in it as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:how much that feller might want to spend

Im a'thinkin $1500.00-$2500.00...and which would be good for skeet and which would be good for trap...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mo Grits
    quote:how much that feller might want to spend

Im a'thinkin $1500.00-$2500.00...and which would be good for skeet and which would be good for trap...

That'll buy a mighty fine gun...Bobski could better answer this question than I can. I've sold and transferred some really nice o/u's...some fit well, some didn't. A nice O/U is on my want list too.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Seen some really nice shotguns shown up by a guy with a cheap used gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: Seen some really nice shotguns shown up by a guy with a cheap used gun

Yup! Thats what I'd like to try and do...seems from what I've been able to gather...that you should go with two different barrel lengths for the two sports...I do appreciate the tips y'all have given...There is a shooter at auction right now that I'm watching that should cover the skeet sport...I'll take a look around at the Red Labels also...
  • Options
    bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love to clean up on fancy trapshooting shotguns at the range. What do I use? An original bolt-action MARLIN GOOSE GUN with its old
    36-inch full choke barrell. Cost me $95.00 including a sling.
    It works for me.................
  • Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about trying something like a nice Remington 1100 12ga skeet model and an 1100 Trap model. I think you will find that you will settle on one shooting sport or the other and likely not both? The type gun suited for each shooting sport has different requirements. Trap guns have to be stocked a lot higher than skeet for example. After you see which sport (Trap or Skeet) that you like best, then upgrade to a nice OU model Beretta or Browning. Later this gun could even be upgraded to a gauge tube set so you could shoot the smaller gauge events.
    Just my opinion--worth what it cost!!
    Good luck in selecting a gun. Feel free to contact me if I might help further.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:bigbossman

126 Posts
    Posted - 03/31/2007 : 8:45:50 PM

I love to clean up on fancy trapshooting shotguns at the range. What do I use? An original bolt-action MARLIN GOOSE GUN with its old
    36-inch full choke barrell. Cost me $95.00 including a sling.
    It works for me.................

Fight Crime - Shoot Back!
    Most citizens are totally unprepared to defend themselves !
    Even the Apostles carried Swords........

rmckuin
    Starting Member

USA
    44 Posts
    Posted - 04/01/2007 : 10:19:42 AM

How about trying something like a nice Remington 1100 12ga skeet model and an 1100 Trap model. I think you will find that you will settle on one shooting sport or the other and likely not both? The type gun suited for each shooting sport has different requirements. Trap guns have to be stocked a lot higher than skeet for example. After you see which sport (Trap or Skeet) that you like best, then upgrade to a nice OU model Beretta or Browning. Later this gun could even be upgraded to a gauge tube set so you could shoot the smaller gauge events.
    Just my opinion--worth what it cost!!
    Good luck in selecting a gun. Feel free to contact me if I might help further.

Thanks y'all...Good info.!...[;)]
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at a Browning Citori over and under. It can handle both quite well.