In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rock Island 1911-A1 FS Blue

SageSage Member Posts: 367
edited April 2007 in Ask the Experts
Anyone familiar with these? Experiences, thoughts and opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never owned one, but from what I have tested at shops, I am not impressed. They feel like a bad China knock off with the metals that are used. I once found one that had a sear problem. While testing the safeties, the hammer dropped to the half cock position. What made this even worse is it was new! Also I hate smooth plastic grips. Who's idea was it to give a 1911 smooth plastic grips? A 45 is not a pea shooter, it has recoil. You make your own call, personally I'll take my parts 1911 and Norinco over a Rock Island.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 1500rds through my Rock Island fullsize GI. Gun has been 100% reliable right out of the box with all types of ammo including 230 +P Corbons that both my Colt Series 70 Gov and Kimber Classic Stainless hang up on.

I too thought the grips looked cheap so I replaced them with Hogue Hardwood Double Diamond grips. Since I'm left handed, I have also had an ambi-safety added and the hammer trimmed a hair to remove hammer bite.

22925HPIM0068.JPG

Another inexpensive gun worth a look is the Brazilian made Springfield GI 1911. I have both. The RIA I bought on a lark and was greatly suprized when it turned out to be a real nice reliable shooter. My Springfield has a lower round count but it too has been completely reliable so far. The trigger on the Springfield is much heavier than the RIA but I believe that has to do with the ILS (internal locking system). One of these days I'll get around to swapping that out.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    500 rounds of 230grn. FMJ thru my full size Rock, no issues that weren't caused by me. (Limpwristing was causing slide to lock back with a few rounds left in the mag)
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    love them or hate them just like any other gun,I love mine no prob.
    ate every thing I fed it.I did put CT laser grips on it.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive owned and sold several of these , now own an 'officers' model , No Problems ....not a Kimber or other $1000 (plus) gun , but they do seem to work ...
    Thanks & Good Luck !
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are good cheap shooters. I bought a slightly used Springfield for the same bucks though and think I did better overall. With a trigger job and some other new parts, I've got a great shooting semi-custom gun for not a lot of money.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mballai
    These are good cheap shooters. I bought a slightly used Springfield for the same bucks though and think I did better overall. With a trigger job and some other new parts, I've got a great shooting semi-custom gun for not a lot of money.

Hey Mike, is the shop still open or did they turn it into a parking lot?