In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Hi-Power T Series Nickel?

RLL2966RLL2966 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in Ask the Experts
I came across a Browning Hi-Power for sale at a local shop. It has what looks to be a high gloss nickel finish on it, that looks original. The whole gun is nickel including the magazine. It is marked made in Belgium and the serial # is T227XXX. It has fixed sights, a ring hammer, and checkered walnut grips. From the serial #, it would have been made in 1968. The only nickel finished hi-power listed in the Blue Book was made from 1980-85 and has a gold trigger. Were these earlier hi-powers offered in a nickel finish or has it been refinished? All the lettering is sharp and it's in very good condition. The asking price is $500. Should I go for it?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't find any thing about a high polish, nickel plated High Power. In my references, dateing to the 60's. Without some form of documentation, substantiating that it's factory, would assume it has been refinished.
  • Options
    Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    NO "T" series Hi-Power was "Factory" nickled.
    It's a "re-paint" as they say in the used car biz.
  • Options
    RLL2966RLL2966 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replys. I searched the web for about 2 hrs. looking to see if I could find anything on it. I did find something that said there were 100 nickel plated Hi-Powers imported in 1974. It said that the serial #'s started with 74C and that they were quite rare. I went back to the shop and looked at the gun again. It was refinished, a really nice job though and the underside of the grips are red. I ended up making a deal with him for a Browning Buckmark .22 that I had. I like the Hi-Power's and it is a very nice looking piece. Just for kicks, when I got it home I switched slides with my Silver/Chrome that I have. It looked pretty cool. A nickel frame, walnut grips, a matte silver slide, and black adj. sights. Then I put the nickel slide on the Silver/Chrome frame. That looked neat too. Matte silver frame, Pachmayr rubber grips, gold trigger, and the nickel slide. All in all I'm happy with it and I got a pretty good deal on it.