In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

unmarked mannlicher

brentstellabrentstella Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I bought this gun from a guy who said that his dad brought it home from World War Two. I asked him what the gun was and all he said was that they always called it the Austrian war gun. I knew it was some kind of Mannlicher gun and he only wanted $125.00 for it so I bought it.
I couldn't tell what it is because there are no manufacture stamps or serial numbers on it. So I brought it to a gunsmith and he told me that it was a 1893 Romanian Mannlicher.
It has an 18inch barrel chambered in some form of 6.5mm caliber. I suspect 6.5mm x 53R
It has two proof marks on the receiver by the chamber, and the letters K S stamped in the bottom of the receiver. It also has the letter S with a circle around it on the action bolts.
I have couple of questions, does anyone know where or who made this gun? How much is a gun like this worth? Any other information would be appreciated.
dscn1687k.jpg
dscn1683p.jpg
dscn1681d.jpg
dscn1675yv.jpg
dscn1674h.jpg
dscn1670u.jpg
dscn1667wg.jpg
dscn1666t.jpg
dscn1663v.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steyr Co. in Austria made cavalry carbines for both the Romanian and Dutch armies that could have been the basis for your carbine. They also made commercial sporting rifles using the same action.

Because the lack of markings my WAG is that it was originally a military carbine that was reworked into a sporter by a European gunsmith. I don't recognize the two proof marks that you show in your 8th photo?

EDIT #1, The Mannlicher long guns of this type utilized a special "enbloc" clip to function as a repeater. I don't know if your carbine has been altered or still has this type of magazine mechanism? Without one of these special clips your screwed, i.e. it can only be utilized as a single shot. The Mannlicher rifles used by the Dutch and Romanians haven't been produced since before the Second World War. It might be difficult to find a buyer if you don't have at least some of the "enbloc" clips with the carbine, when you sell it.

EDIT #2, The gunsmith who reworked it from it's original military configuration removed all the markings. Usually they leave at least the original serial number. Which makes this carbine quite unusual for a European firearm. Because of this lack of serial number, I don't believe this carbine was meant for commercial sale.

Because it needed a enbloc clip to function, the scope was off set to the left side of the receiver. As PS noted, with out the custom special scope and mount the value of this carbine is greatly diminished.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    You have a very nice Rifle. ALBEIT Horrible refinish to the stock .looks like someone painted it and used a broom as a brush The double set triggers and scope mounts indicate a gunsmith either factory or custom gunsmith fitted these parts. The big problem now is all these Claw type scope mounts were sort of a one of a kind. They were hand fitted and unless you have the scope it will be VERY costly to get a scope mounted . Chamber cast will be needed to find out what the proper ammo would be for your rifle. This would have been a sought after rifle in the 1950's and 1960's but in today's world you have a limited market of people that would want to purchase.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the info. Any idea why it doesnt have any marking? And if I wanted to find a value for it, how do I look it up? Do you think the K S stamped into the bottom of the reciever was the gunsmith mark?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you. I guess I need to find some clips and a scope
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice rifle. I'd strip off the stock varnish, clean up checkering and steam out any dents. Refinish with Tung oil or properly applied varnish.
    I believe the caliber to be 6.5x53R (rimmed) because the bolt face appears to be for a large base.
    8x50 Austrian Mannlicher clips are on the used market that might work if modified as both base and body diameters aren't that far off. They used the same system of drop through clips. Buy a couple and try for fit.
    The Germans converted some 8x50 Rimmed Steyrs to 8mm Mauser during WW2.
    Clips may be available for those narrower cartridges.
    Anyway, I'd explore those two avenues.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bump. Does anyone else know anything else about this rifle?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. It is a felony under federal law to possess a firearm with an altered or removed serial number. Value is zero.

Neal
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post on Mauser Central for more info.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, we know it's worth $125 to someone.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you could make a case that this rifle was built in its present form before 1968 and does not require a serial number. The BATF is not going to interview an elderly European gunsmith as to how he "scrubbed" a piece of obsolete surplus.

One of the proof marks appears to be the Romanian phoenix stamp.

Caliber is probably still 6.5x53R for which ammunition is available.

Dutch Mannlicher clips are advertised on the GB auction side.
    Are Dutch and Romanian clips interchangeable? $15 to find out.

There are untold numbers of war loot European sporting rifles with unoccupied claw scope mounts. The custom was to store the delicate optic off the gun until in the field or sometimes until game was seen. Lack of the scope is unfortunate but it does not make the gun automatically worthless. The "ladder" sight is still there to aim the rifle with.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NICE piece...
    If all else fails I have (2)Carcano clips that might work. They fit 6.5 and 7.35 rounds. I have a Carcano rifle so I could only part with one.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NICE piece...
    If all else fails I have (2)Carcano clips that might work. They fit 6.5 and 7.35 rounds. I have a Carcano rifle so I could only part with one.