In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

National Ordnance M1 carbine

frequentfrequent Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys, Im currently bidding on what I hope will be my first m1 carbine. The M1 carbine is the firearm that got me to want to learn how to shoot. The m1 that I'm bidding on is pretty cheap so I was gonna use the chance to be familiar with it before I shed money to a collector grade one. Does anyone have any idea how the national ordnance m1 carbine performs. Can I just drop in the carbine in any GI folding stock? and also is there a reciever top rail that I can buy to be able to still use the iron sights? If there isnt is there a forward mount that can co-witness. Thanks.

Comments

• 45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frequent,

Sorry cannot tell you how N.O. carbine performs. Myself, am leary of cast recievers, which more than likely it is.

Here's a bunch of info, if not aready aware of this commercial carbine site...
    http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html

I've seen or have owned other commercial carbines that ran the gamut of performing outstandingly, to "couldn't wait to get rid of it". Pretty much a crap-shoot way I see it, buying sight unseen much less given as test run? As is with buying much anything used.

All that said, if the price is right I'd perhaps give it a go.
    45er
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one your buying has a mix of commercial and G.I. parts. As for
    reliability, they'll be the same for the G.I. model. Like the Drill
    Instructor we had for the M1 matches, he said they do funny things
    unless you clean them every 200 rounds.

All the scope mounts I've seen require the rear sight to be removed and
    fitted into the dovetail. Looks like side mounted scopes need mounting
    holes drilled into the receiver...egad!!, and also the rear sight to
    be removed.

The folding stock will fit that gun.....it's almost an exact copy of
    the GI models

good luck, Thor
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It had better be cheap, because commercial receivers are really iffy. Especially since you have no idea who has abused it in the last 50 years. I would not bid on it without a return period long enough for me to shoot it.

The best mount for the carbine is the B=Square mount that clamps onto the barrel. No, it won't co-witness, & you have to sacrifice a handguard by cutting a slot in it. A Leupold M8-2x works well, as this is only a 100 yd rifle.

You don't want to ever remove the rear sight, as it is staked. You probably don't want to buy a USGI folding stock, as they cost > $1,500 & make it difficult to get a cheek weld, especially with a scope.

Neal
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nat Ord put together many M1s and 1903s using original USGI parts with the exception of the receivers. They have little collector value, but I will say they are great shooters. I have one friend who had several USGI recievers and bought Nat Ord rifles for restoration.

At one time, I owned a Nat Ord 1903. The barrel was SA and made in the 40s and was new. That 03 would shoot tighter groups that my Rem 700. I since sold that rifle. I have fired several other Nat Ord and Fed Ord products and can attest they all shoot great. Just don't expect them to appreciate like originals.