In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun ??

62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a 10 ga. S/S rabbit ear shotgun. It is marked "Laminated steel" on the rib so I am keeping it as a wall-hanger. It is marked "Henry F. Rice . London" on the rib and "Henry F. Rice on each of the side-lock plates. It has nice wood with typical English pattern flat-top checkering. There is a small amount of nicely done engraving on the side plates, breech end of the barrels and the trigger guard. I haven't been able to find any info on Henry F. Rice so far. Is anyone familiar with him and his work?
Thanks in advance,
B
dcs, thanks. This one is a conventional top-lever release with dual underlugs

Checked the water-table. No Belgian ELG in an oval. Crossed items that could be spears, arrows or sceptres - two on each barrel. Number "11" on both barrels between the crossed items. Heavily impressed stamp that appears to be trapazoidal nearer the breech and a number "5" on the right barrel near the fore-end keyway. Barrels appear to have a film of varnish on them, old oil or an attempt to prevent rust, but it has filled in the details of the stampings. I will be soaking them in a little acetone to try to bring out the details.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many of the Belgian made shotguns of that era had spurious British markings. Best way to tell the difference would be the proof marks. Either post quality photos, or give us a very detailed description of them. The proofs should be on the under side of the barrels in the breech area. Or on what is called the "Water Table". Which is the flat surface of the frame under the barrels.
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    If I had seen the original question two years ago, I would have tried to answer it back then. Looked in two reference books and only one had any mention of the name RICE and it was entered as H.T.RICE. Perhaps you are misreading the middle initial. Anyway there is very little information. The entire reference says" Rice,.H.T. Hammerless double sold by Schoverling, Daley & Gales an importer and dealer located in New York City from 1873 to 1941.They sold the guns in 1887. Maker unknown."Take a look at the bottom of the barrels for proof marks. English made guns will have crossed scepters or halberds (spear/battle axe) with a crown over that and letters in the intersections. Belgian made guns will have the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown possible on top. I suggest you ask your question on Shotgun World. There is a gentleman who lives in Scotland and is quite familial with English gun makers who posts there.