In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

i have a mosin

SilentRageSilentRage Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
Nagant that the bolt has trouble decocking using the trigger, but if I put a different bolt in,it has no trouble. Is something wrong with bolt? Its a m91/30. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:the bolt has trouble decocking using the trigger
    That's kind of a vague description. Can you give more details of what you are doing, and what the bolt is doing, or not doing?
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I honestly think you answered your own question. Old bolt doesn't work, new one does.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only think of two scenarios that cover what you are doing.

A. You have closed the bolt and pulled the trigger to try to dry fire the rifle.
    B. With the bolt open you pull, and hold, the trigger and close the bolt to relieve tension on the striker spring.

First determine if your rifle is numbers matched. This is a safety precaution as bubba may have installed a mismatched bolt giving no thought to safe headspace.
    This will show what you are looking for.
    http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSerial.htm

Next you need to disassemble the bolt and give it a thorough cleaning. There might be a buildup of cosmoline or crud causing the problem.

For scenario A. Inspect the engagement surfaces of the sear and striker for burrs, galling or file marks (someone may have tried doing a bubba trigger job). Also check to see that the safety is disengaging completely.

For scenario B. Inspect all camming and locking surfaces for burrs or galling.

A simple cleaning may remedy the problem. If any parts need replaced, have a competent gunsmith do the work. Replacing parts may cause an unsafe sear or safety condition or excessive headspace.

quote:Originally posted by SilentRage
    Asphalt: if, I push the bolt all the way forward, push the handle to the right just a little without closing it, then pull the trigger, it should decock the bolt (I read that's the way to do it) however, it doesn't decock it. If, I take the bolt out and use one from one of my other mosins, it works everytime. I am fairly new to the mosin rifle, so I'm not sure what's wrong with the bolt? It is #s matching except the bolt and does not appear to have any bubba job done to it. When I received it, I disassembled the rifle and cleaned all the Cosmo out of it, oiled it, checked the action and all worked fine.

Scenerio B you describe sound spot on, but the bolt closes automatically when I pull the trigger instead of holding the trigger and closing the bolt myself. Do you know what I mean?

Clear as a bell Rage.
    Will it close easily if you hold the trigger and close the bolt manually?

Also, try temporarily installing the striker spring from one of the good bolts into the troublesome bolt. The issue may be a collapsed, (weak) striker spring.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Asphalt: if, I push the bolt all the way forward, push the handle to the right just a little without closing it, then pull the trigger, it should decock the bolt (I read that's the way to do it) however, it doesn't decock it. If, I take the bolt out and use one from one of my other mosins, it works everytime. I am fairly new to the mosin rifle, so I'm not sure what's wrong with the bolt? It is #s matching except the bolt and does not appear to have any bubba job done to it. When I received it, I disassembled the rifle and cleaned all the Cosmo out of it, oiled it, checked the action and all worked fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Scenerio B you describe sound spot on, but the bolt closes automatically when I pull the trigger instead of holding the trigger and closing the bolt myself. Do you know what I mean?
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After some 100 years of service, most Mosins are mix masters anyway. If the numbers match, it's a good chance it happened during an arsenal reconditioning.

That massive cocking piece allows the shooter to lower the firing pin by pulling the cocking piece back off the sear, pulling the trigger, and then letting the pin/cocking piece to move forward .
    It goes without saying the chamber should be empty

Swap out the pin and cocking piece into your original bolt and see if the problem goes away.

One poster mentioned a safety. You CAN pull back the cocking piece back and rotate it to the left to engage the receiver wall, but there is no actual safety on a Mosin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I give that a try Asphalt. It was a * getting the bolt reassembled after cleaning off the Cosmo, maybe the spring is bound up or weak. Ill tear it apart later and see what happens. Thanks