In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 win vs 300 weatherby-PART II

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
I was not in on the first part of this, but if it was solely a choice between the two chamberings, and the action would house the 300 Weatherby, then I would still go with the 300 Winchester Magnum. Just for sole fact, that 300 Winchester Mag., ammunition, is more commonly available, at your average mom and pop gas stations, and tom, dick, and harry sporting goods.

kumate
quote:Winchester brass has a longer life than the softer norma brass used by weatherby, also it is hard to obtain factory velocities when reloading in the weatherby. I have only worked with the 300 and 340, and both were great shooters except for the recoil

Not sure what you have been smoking, but that is way off base. Basically, the majority of Winchester, and Remingtom brass, are absolutely JUNK, compared to the makes of Lapua, and Norma.

Lastly, if I did not have to decide between those two 30 caliber magnums, specifically, and wanted every thing a very common 30 caliber magnum could give me, then the answer is the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. Same length as the Weatherby, and yeilds 15-20% better peerformance, from a 26" barrel.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:Weatherbys had a lot of freebore but I believe Mr. Weatherby designed his rounds to be big enough to not require them to run at 65,000 psi.

I understand what you are saying, but it is the GUN and cartridge that are designed to withstand the pressure. So why would Weatherby not take advantage of the pressures of what the rifle was capable of, and design a case to match it? Seems counter productive, to me...for just wanting to be first, and fastest.

Best

EDIT 2

A lot has developed since the event of some of the Weatherby cartridges. Powders, especially have progressed.

So what if the action can withstand other cartridges, that do operate up to 65K PSIG. The majority of the Weatherby family, does not. By not utilizing the performance available, and just creating a so called big block(read as bigger case to hold more powder), it makes them the most overated, and unefficient cartridges on the planet, PERIOD.

Best

Comments

• Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uhhh NEVER shoot ammo in a rifle that is not chambered for it. There are so many reasons that doing that could be dangerous to you, the gun, and maybe even bystanders when the 2.5" .300 win case doesn't seal the 2.85" .300 weatherby chamber and all that pressure is free to go where it pleases.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a custom rifle smith in Arizona that made custom long range hunting rifles, the only cartridge he chambered for was 300wby. Though I can't remember his name someone on here probably knows who I am talking about, or may even be him. I looked into buying one but didn't have the funds.

A buddy of mine, who live in SD, shoots an out of the box Remington 700 in 300wby. I shot it once and shot a 7/8" 3 shot group at 100 yards. That was on a makeshift rest on a very windy day.

IMO, accuracy of the round isn't an issue.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    There was a custom rifle smith in Arizona that made custom long range hunting rifles, the only cartridge he chambered for was 300wby. Though I can't remember his name someone on here probably knows who I am talking about, or may even be him. I looked into buying one but didn't have the funds.

A buddy of mine, who live in SD, shoots an out of the box Remington 700 in 300wby. I shot it once and shot a 7/8" 3 shot group at 100 yards. That was on a makeshift rest on a very windy day.

IMO, accuracy of the round isn't an issue.

There can be no (logical) dispute that the Wthby free-bore design is INHERENTLY less accurate than a non free-bore design.....Other factors will affect whether an individual rifle is more -or less- "accurate" than the mean (average) of a given design.........
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all I know is my Hart match grade barrel mounted in a Winchester '70 classic with boss,is very accurate...I use 150 gr. Weatherby ammo,and have taken deer over 500 yds...3600FPS....is moving for 150 gr.....same rifle chambered in 257 Weatherby....3600 fps also....Remington 300 RUM,only out paces the Weatherby when shooting 180 gr bullets,and not that farther...
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    all I know is my Hart match grade barrel mounted in a Winchester '70 classic with boss,is very accurate...I use 150 gr. Weatherby ammo,and have taken deer over 500 yds...3600FPS....is moving for 150 gr.....same rifle chambered in 257 Weatherby....3600 fps also....Remington 300 RUM,only out paces the Weatherby when shooting 180 gr bullets,and not that farther...

Let me guess...you are using a TASCO scope?

My 300 RUM is getting 3290 FPS, measured against a PACT Precision chronograph. That is using a 200 grain Nosler Accubond. I will tell you for a FACT, that I can drive any weight bullet in it, at least 200 FPS faster than either the Winchester, or Weatherby 300's.

Next question, is why would one take a Hart barrel, and ruin it with the "BOSS" system?

Best
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1

I've only ever owned 1 Weatherby (.257 Wthby Mag) and I never got around to loading for it, but 1 thing that stands out in my mind is the amount of powder that the load books show is used -as opposed to "similar" cartridges- in order to get that precious velocity which Weatherby is renowned for. ..............just my observation
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    With regard to the 257 Wby, I had one rebarrelled several years back, replacing the German lightweight barrel with a 1-10" 28" heavy taper that had minimum chamber/throat dimensions. I hand loaded for it using resized WW 264 mag brass. With loads several grains LESS than those listed for standard 257 Wby cartridges I was chronographing 3400 fps with 120 grain bullets. this was with no signs of excess pressure and brass that was reloadable for several shots. So it appears to me that the freebore aspect is just a way to burn some extra powder and gain no velocity.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

Let me guess...you are using a TASCO scope?

My 300 RUM is getting 3290 FPS, measured against a PACT Precision chronograph. That is using a 200 grain Nosler Accubond. I will tell you for a FACT, that I can drive any weight bullet in it, at least 200 FPS faster than either the Winchester, or Weatherby 300's.

Next question, is why would one take a Hart barrel, and ruin it with the "BOSS" system?

Best
    My "Tasco" is spelled Swarovski! With a TDS AO 6x24x50....My spotting scope is 80Mil. Swarovski! The boss system works very well for me! Its a "break" as well as it brings a fine tune when you change bullet weights that I',m sure you know all about...I also use only numbered Weatherby Ammo...I have a very experienced gunsmith that custom milled these rifles for me....and they were not purchased on "lay-a-way"..also it has a HS precision stock..my other has a McMillan...all paper cutters...
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tsr, not smoking nothing. I have split necks on norma brass with the same load as Winchester factory ammo in the 220 swift. you really believe yourself to be an expert on all things firearm related and you show your ignorance in your posts