In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sheath

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
bought one of the cold steel spike knives with the plastic sheath and while I heard a few stories of it slipping out of the sheath the problem I encountered was when the plastic got cold it was very hard and dangerous to pry the knife out...would like recommendations on how to build ?? a small form fitting sheath out of some material that would work in all temps and keep this sharp pointed beastie safe..thanx

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I make my sheaths and holsters out of leather. Soak the leather in warm water for a half hour or so to soften. Oil knife and wrap in thin plastic bag, form wet leather around blade with seam on cutting edge, clamp the seam with two pieces of wood and clamps, let dry for a day or two. You can sew the seam with an awl such as a speedy stitcher or use copper rivets. Belt loops and retaining strap with snap are usually separate pieces attached before closing the seam. I like alice clips as belt loops. Tandy Leather has everything, leather, plans/instruction. I'm sure there are tons of utube vids on sheath making.