In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 32-20; 4 number serial

o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
edited October 2013 in Ask the Experts
Shooting buddy called and wanted to know about a gun his father gave
him 50 years ago

It says on barrel winchster 32 ctg
in the yoke it says 17 200
serial #is 573X

it seems it is a 32-20 hand ejector second model (model of 1902)
the 17 200 has me baffled
could this be something other than the above?
he said he was offerd 500 from a gun dealer locally

any help?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree he has a .32-20 Hand Ejector 1902 2nd, made 1902-1905.

The 17200 in the yoke is a fitting number to keep parts together at the factory and of no meaning after the gun is completed, serial numbered, and sold.

If a dealer offered $500, he expected to be able to sell it for $1000. Or maybe a quick flip for "only" $700, but a large profit anyhow.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/160682-32-20-hand-ejector-thread.html

Don't shoot the rifle loads marked 32-20 HV in it, usually had jacketed bullets. As kid I got to shoot one that carried by a buddy grandfather as an issued pistol. Nice shooting plinker if you load for it.

Added well it was about 40 years ago and my buddy was shooting the HV loads in gramp's pistol because that what he had loose in sack from his dad.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How long has it been since they made any HV "rifle only" loads?
    About 60 years as best I can tell from old Gun Digests.
    Any you find would themselves be collectors items.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best verify the barrel markings. According to my references the left side of the barrel should be marked, " 32 Winchester CTG". Top of barrel, "Company Name and Address", with patent dates of "1889,1895, 1896,1898 and 1901".

If the barrel isn't marked per the above. It's either been very heavily refinished so that the markings aren't visible. Or more likely a Spanish made knock-off.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    That's good advice about the HV loads. The major ammunition makers made those in 38-40 and 44-40 as well, and those were in the territory of 41 and 44 mag loads. If I remember right, the boxes were marked for rifle use only, in guns of recent manufacture (no handguns or Winchester '73's, etc. They were apparently discontinued because too many people tended to think like Liberals, even back then.