In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Huntsman

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello & Merry Christmas from a new member. New to this site, and not very knowledgeable about firearms.

I'm interested in a Colt Huntsman that's for sale and would like to know the year it was manufactured. I have the seriel number but don't know where to look to get the year the gun was manufatured.

Could anyone out there tell me where to look?

Thanks - Bill

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone have any pros and cons about the "Huntsman"? I just purchased one from an estate...
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it 4" or 6" ? 4 inch is generally worth more and handier. I own one huntsman and 3 woodsmen. Accuracy wise I can barely tell the difference. The woodsman all have adjustable sites but once they're on most people never change them. The Huntsman has fixed site and mine shoots to point of aim from 50 ft to 40 yards. Depending on what you paid, I think the Huntsman is a good value compared to the Woodsman especially with the high price jump the Woodsmen have taken. If price didn't matter I'd take the woodsman, but I honestly shoot my Huntsman three times as much.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it 4" or 6" ? 4 inch is generally worth more and handier. I own one huntsman and 3 woodsmen. Accuracy wise I can barely tell the difference. The woodsman all have adjustable sites but once they're on most people never change them. The Huntsman has fixed site and mine shoots to point of aim from 50 ft to 40 yards. Depending on what you paid, I think the Huntsman is a good value compared to the Woodsman especially with the high price jump the Woodsmen have taken. If price didn't matter I'd take the woodsman, but I honestly shoot my Huntsman three times as much.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one for awhile, and got rid of it. Quality pistol, noting wrong with it at all. I just didn't care for the miniscule rear sight. Also the trigger pull, as compared to more modern .22's like the Buckmark.

For some reason most of the older .22's are sighted in to shoot 2" to 3" high. My point of aim is center of target, when shooting. With older fixed sight .22's, this means I have to file down the rear sight. With a high quality, high value pistol like the Colt, just didn't want too mangle the rear sight.

As the previous poster noted they have been out of print for years. Because of this, like all the old Colts. They have appreciated substantially in value. If yours is factory original in VG condition. You will have no problem getting rid of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know where I may get a spare clip (magazine)?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Anyone know where I may get a spare clip (magazine)?

Lot of folks bad mouth Triple K. My experience is just the opposite. Their current production U.S. made mags, work OK. If you cant get hold of a original at a descent price. Give one from Triple K a try.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bear in mind that if yours is an early model, magazines for later models will not fit. Mags for 50's and later are not the same as the 30s, 40s mags. Colt made them (or they were made for Colt) until recently.
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 4" model that I love. I, too, would prefer the Woodsman, but NOT at the premium price and for shooting/carrying in the woods. As for spare magazines, they come up occasionally on auction sites. I got a spare Colt mag and, as I recall, it was only about $20 +/-. Enjoy your new treasure.
    yooper
  • Options
    txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a challenger, which was basically renamed the Huntsman, and I love it.

Rufe brought up a very good point. Mine would shoot high with 36 grain bullets, but shoots point of aim with 40 grain bullets. Not for me to know what's going on with that, but if you have that issue, get a box of federal auto match and that should fix it.