In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ranger 22 Target Rifle

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
My friend just got a Ranger 22 Target Rifle. I was trying to check the manufacturer for him but it has no model number or serial number. It is in excellent condition 95+ with a detachable magazine and heavy barrel and walnut stock. Only marking is "Ranger 22" any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP45,I had a simular question about a week ago about a Ranger .22 I had bought. See the thread here: http://forums.gunbroker.com/images/Forum2/HTML/013031.html Mine does not have a detachable mag, but most likely yours was made for Sears by one of the major manufactures, Its probably pre-64 since it has no serial number, as is mine (unless someone removed it). I'm guessing that the way it was finally determined that mine was made by Marlin for Sears, is j2k22 thumbed through books until he found it (I had posted pictures to help identify)Not to step on your post, but I'd like to again thank everyone that helped ID my Ranger.
    Sometimes the most obvious, IS the most elusive!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx, I checked the cross reference in the blue book but as you know that lists by model number and manufacturer.
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is a question that recurs every 4 months or so. The Ranger name has been used on quite a few different rifles, so it is impossible to identify the manufacturer by the name alone. The rifle you described was made by Stevens; it is virtually identical to their model 416 target rifle, which was made late 30's through the 40's. The barrelled action is exactly the same. The sights were different on the 2 models, and I have seen Rangers with lower grade wood than the 416 had. I have 2 of the Rangers, and they are great-shooting rifles. I added Redfield peep sights in the back, and the Lyman 20 MJT aperture front to both. I also have the Stevens 416. I have seen 3 or 4 of the Rangers over the years, and because the maker did not mark them with their name, they always spark a lively speculation as to origin.