In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS value? Opinions on future value?

competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in Ask the Experts
I was just wondering, one of my SKS's is a "nice" (by my standards) Chinese one. It's stamped (only on the barrel, not the reciever) "KFS Atlanta, GA"; it's got the spike bayonet; the numbers match (the stock is stamped too). It's only had a few rounds through it.I know some SKS's are described as "issued" (I've always assumed that's meant it was "used" militarily--correct me if it means anything different), but how does one determine if a particular SKS in the U.S. has been "issued"? And specifically, from the information I've given, can anyone tell me if mine has been?What's mine worth?Does anything, like the matching numbers or if it would be considered an "issued" one, make it potentially more "collectable" in the future? ("Made in China" and "collectability" seem to be a contradiction to me. )Specifically, I was wondering if I should keep shooting it, or store it and just shoot "less nice" ones.Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Comments

• Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prices have gone up and down on these. They were $65, then $85, then $125, then $150, then $200, then $250, then up to $300. I've seen them taper off at $250 and they are on the way down. There are different ones (chines, russian, etc). The latest influx will be Yugoslovian at about $99 wholesale. You will prbably seem them in retail stores for about $150 real soon.
  • Options
    mhansonmhanson Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought I think it was 3 maybe 4 years ago I was selling russian sks's for 100.00 out the door price tag now 400.00 if you can find one. wish I would have saved a few to sell now, but you never know
  • Options
    mattsmilitariamattsmilitaria Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Russian one that I got back in 1996 for $100. Now I have a guy offering me $450 for it (as well as my accesories I have with it). I predict that the Russian SKS rifles will continue to rise in value. I really don't see any increase in a Chinese one however. I say shoot it up! Matt
  • Options
    jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yours has import marks on it {KFS atlanta, GA} so it is highly unlikely this rifle ever has seen anything but warehouse walls from wherever the rifle's country of origin is. simply put- vietnam bringbacks{where most likely a millitary issued SKS would come from} would not have import marks on them.